Who meets most often
Initially, the syndrome was spread among people in helping professions, which are also subject to a high psychosocial load. Burnout was then considered a classic managerial disease. Meanwhile, burnout syndrome is also found in many other occupational classes.
If the first physical signals are not responded in time, the following burnout is unavoidable. Good self-perception can therefore be very helpful in preventing burnout.
The first symptoms are:
- The feeling of never having enough time
- Volunteers, permanent overtime
- Disregarding one's own needs
- Restrict social contacts to the professional environment
Whoever does not pay attention to the first indications, and soon comes into the condition, which is characteristic of burnout.
As classic physical symptoms of burnout apply:
- lack of energy
- chronic fatigue
- sleep disorders
- decision difficulties
- lack of concentration
The first signs are often subtle
The first signs of the syndrome are very subtle. Often the symptoms can not be clearly attributed. Only when these do not disappear, most of the suspected burnouts occur.
It is striking that already over 50 percent of German workers sleep worse because of their job. Obviously, for many alone, the thought of the upcoming work week is a psychological burden. Alone 40 percent thus have every Sunday, due to the job, problems with falling asleep or sleep, which increases the risk of a future fatigue syndrome and other diseases.
5 Tips against Burnout
You should pay attention to a healthy relationship between working time and time for your own needs. In the long term, it is also for the employer and that Company better if the energy pool of his employees is replenished again and again. These 5 tips will help you avoid burnout.
1. Pay attention to the working environment
Since much of the time is spent in the job, an important starting point is to pay attention to the right work environment. Studies show that companies that are under a lot of work and time pressure often suffer from exhaustion symptoms.
An ever increasing range of tasks, restructurings and constant market adjustments do not allow proper rest in the company. Recovery periods are missing and most employees are consistently running at 120 percent. Understandably, such companies pose the greatest risks for burnout disorders.
Other risk factors are a bad relationship between employees or between them and the boss. A disturbed relationship of trust and lack of recognition of performance additionally reinforce this. Employees need to be recognized and promoted in their value without being sucked out of their last energy.
2. Part time or flexitime work
One way to achieve this is, among other things, a family-friendly corporate policy, as you have already introduced companies such as REWE. This offers part-time jobs and flexitime, so that there is enough time for one's own needs in addition to the work. For many, the possibility of dividing working hours entirely or at least partially provides a healthy balance to the fixed timetable.
In addition, projects in the company, for health management and optimum work safety, are good indications that man is recognized as such in his or her value.
When choosing your own workplace, it should be apparent that:
- the company is located in the well-being of its employees,
- Appreciation on the part of the employees and the management,
- a good, trusting, collegial relationship exists.
3. The right time management makes it
Breaks are the small time units in which energy is refueled. If the breaks are used instead for other work and errands, the battery empties more and more. Therefore, people who tend to work nonstop are also more susceptible to burnout. The consistent observation of breaks is therefore a first step towards prevention.
- A walk in the lunch break or even small stretching and relaxing exercises in between provide for a bit of variety. A bad conscience, because during the break not important things are done, should absolutely be deposited.
- Reading business mails or making business phone calls should also be taboo in the breaks. This also applies after work. This also includes the number of overtime hours. More overtime usually means less time for itself and the maintenance of social contacts outside of the job. Both are important factors to refuel your own energy storage.
- However, even in everyday life you will encounter pitfalls that lead to the fact that the free time is perceived as stress. Household, children, errands, medical appointments and Co. can also lead to exhaustion here, if not from time to time is scheduled for themselves.
- Especially working parents have to pay special attention to a recreation allowance because of their double burden. There are always tasks that can be delegated. If necessary, help can also be given to the household, or a delivery service can be commissioned for purchases. The gained free time should be used consciously for restful things.
4. Spend time with the right people
Probably everyone has ever had the experience that the encounter with a person robs you of a more energy, while the contact with another person is doing well.
In the ideal case, one's own time should be spent with the latter as often as possible. With a little sensitivity, you can quickly find out which group the person belongs to. It is recommended to meet people who feel that you do not have to waste your time unnecessarily. Consider the following:
- Is there joy on the meeting?
- Is the person sympathetic?
- Is there a sense of vitality during or after the meeting?
These are often happy and satisfied contemporaries, who also radiate this happiness and infect others with it.
Certain properties and whims often color to one's own, unfortunately not only the positive ones. Anyone who surrounds with dissatisfied people tends to be rather dissatisfied and develop a pessimistic attitude towards life. On the other hand, those who are more contented with satisfied, optimistically-minded persons are always very much in favor of their own feelings.
5. accept help
Should the circumstances lead to burnout or clear signs of burnout, do not hesitate to ask for expert advice. There are several specially designed clinics, outpatient centers and medical practices.
In most cases, in addition to the actual symptoms, there is an increased consumption of addictive substances such as alcohol, stimulants, painkillers or sleeping pills. As a result, attempts are made unconsciously to counteract burnout in the initial phase.
Of course, this problem must also be brought under control, but what ultimately helps is the removal of the cause. An excessive workload, unresolved conflicts and constant time pressure can not be solved permanently by drugs or other addictive substances. The approach of own emergency measures therefore consists inter alia of a combination of
- Drug reduction,
- improved work-life balance and that
- Maintaining resting phases.
While for healthy persons an interruption of the workplace is enough to replenish energy and then feel again properly recovered, those concerned notice quickly that the break has not brought much recovery. Even in time or on vacation, they feel sluggish and dull.
It should not be delayed too long and in case of serious complaints or suspicion of burnout, professional help from third parties will be used. These support the process back to a regular, healthy daily routine.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).