Vacation planning to Gusto? - "Not with me!"
My two employees were visibly upset in my office door. In itself, the situation would have been completely unproblematic, the two would not have been the representation of each other. An absolute no-go! Good advice was expensive now.
As a leader, a balanced combination of trust and empathy on the one hand and elbow engagement and control on the other is important. Especially sensitive topics such as holiday planning are usually not a relaxed self-running, but can become a serious problem.
No-say shows profile
It is in the nature of man to constantly test boundaries. This is good to observe, for example, in children: they irritate boundaries until parents react.
So what do you do in such a case as a superior? If there are clear rules on holiday planning, it is up to the management to enforce them. Of course, it would be the easier solution to give both employees the holiday and to provide replacement.
exceptions prove the rule
But especially in such a situation, it is important to say "no" and show profile. Only then are superiors taken seriously.
Of course, it is important for executives in individual cases to consider whether they will not grant a leave request. For example, if the holiday is just a day or an unexpected incident in the family, empathy is certainly the drug of choice.
Consequence is a necessary basis
If limits and rules are deliberately ignored, enforcement is required. The following procedure has proven itself in practice:
- Make sure that the affected employees themselves are looking for a solution - not you as a superior. Self-induced and self-solving problems are not your job!
- In a later discussion, ask how the faux pas could come. As a leader, it is important to check whether it was just a foolish coincidence or that there are greater tensions between employees.
- Contact Teammeeting briefly and inquire whether everyone agrees with the existing rules. If there is disagreement, it is up to you to react.
- Have courage to delegate! Have employees create a shared vacation plan that everyone can access. This is particularly useful if the Team very large or spread over several sites.
- No matter which rules apply to leave and leave, you as a manager determine the basic conditions and justify them. Within this framework, the employees can then develop and propose their own rules - participation and own ideas increase the acceptance.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).