The complex area of leadership is an area that is rarely completely manageable. Just say goodbye to controlling all aspects of your area of responsibility.
All you can do is understand your own style, skills, and procedures, and know what you can do to develop them to be even more effective.
Women have less role models than men
Effectiveness and performance is not the problem of women and leadership. In fact, the problems lie elsewhere: as we know from our research, but also from other studies, women have less role models than men and often find it difficult to compete on an equal footing with their male colleagues for career success.
In addition, we see in our work again and again business people who have held leadership positions for some years before they clearly understand their style, their strengths and strategies. So what tips can we give to leaders who want to make a career?
5 Tips for Career and Leadership Success
From our point of view, the most important thing is to develop your leadership strategy - Know your abilities and skills and play to your strengths. This includes:
- No macho leadership: From our research and our teaching and consulting experience, we know some organizations in which older women considered it necessary to adopt existing leadership styles for men / macho; their goal is to be as hard if not tougher than men. We believe it is possible to take a different approach, and maybe the younger generation of female executives may feel safe enough to do so. We would also give some advice - Macho leadership should not be seen as an "ideal" as it often creates a toxic culture of fear that is not healthy for the organization.
- Be clear about your personal leadership vision: Understand your preferred leadership style - and develop the ability to do so when needed. Be honest with yourself about your preferences, any restrictions and work with others to get feedback.
- Be authentic: Be true to yourself and feel comfortable with your leadership style.
- Explore your leadership image together with others: > Ask for feedback on your style and impact and the impression you leave.
- Train your voice: Many women have a high voice that is thin and therefore not easy to hear. Therefore, we recommend women to train their voice and use it to make their voice heard. Those who do not make their voices heard and do not speak with a certain authority will not be fully respected.
Examples of successful women's management
There are some outstanding examples of politics where women have recognized the need to manage their image for greater success,
- Margaret Thatcher used vocal training to create a deeper sound to improve her performance as she spoke in the crowded and noisy Chamber of the House of Commons.
- Gro Harlem Brundtland, who was Prime Minister of Norway three times, called the voice of importance when she was asked for her advice for young women politicians.
And what counts for female politicians, of course, applies even more to successful female executives, managers and entrepreneurs.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Buy a book on the topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want more information? There is also a book, including this text, and you can purchase the book title here directly in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then buy directly on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960145
English version: ISBN 9783965960152 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).