New leadership concepts are necessary
In order to achieve the best possible results in the virtual world of work, managers have to develop leadership concepts and rethink their existing management habits.
“Virtual” leadership is a new discipline that differs from traditional leadership strategies. If managers learn to use the digital opportunities effectively, they will become better managers in all areas.
The top 10 of communication in virtual teams
Managers should therefore consider the following 10 top tips to get the most out of their virtual teams.
- Remember: In virtual space, many areas are reinforced: In virtual meetings, the participants listen to the manager more intensively than is often the case in face-to-face communication. Weaknesses in the arguments are perceived by other participants much faster. Managers must therefore develop a strong level of self-confidence and learn how to control their emotions, react to situations and express themselves verbally.
- Listen carefully: Most managers are trained to pay attention to the body language of their counterpart and to take visual stimuli into account. This does not apply in virtual space. In order to be successful here, managers have to listen more carefully and have a “seventh Sense”To connect with your employees.
- Create a common virtual space: Each individual participant should be connected electronically to the others. A mix between virtual and other participants, for example placed around a microphone, does not work.
- The right working environment is important: Participants should be alone and undisturbed in a quiet room - not in a large office, an airport lounge or on the train. All participants should wear a headset that covers both ears. Telephone connections are preferable to Internet-based connections because they provide better sound quality and are more common. Participants should log 10 minutes before the start of the meeting so that technical problems can be solved in time.
- Consider the different time zones: Appointments should be planned in such a way that the employees can participate in the virtual meetings at humane times. If this is not always possible, the dates should be adapted to the needs of the participants. Thus, the same person does not always have to attend the virtual meetings at an unpleasant time, such as the 3 clock.
- Plan enough time: Schedule a time buffer before the meeting that will allow you and the attendees to prepare. At the beginning of the meeting, take the time to get used to it instead of going to the job. End the meeting by allowing the attendees to leave and ask if anyone has something to add before signing out - similar to a virtual handshake.
- Plan the course of the meeting: Think carefully about what the participants should have read and prepared before the meeting. Send the agenda in advance to all participants and ask for their feedback. When you use presentations, they prepare not only content-related slides but also process-specific slides.
- Help the participants to focus: A “concentration exercise” at the beginning of the meeting can allow participants to mentally complete the topic that they have previously dealt with in order to be fully involved.
- Learn to deal with silence: Most people feel uncomfortable when it is quiet and try to break through by repeating the information. Silence does not mean that people are absent. As a rule, they think about the task and think about how to respond. Give them the time to think in peace.
- Build relationships and maintain them: Relationships are the cornerstone of virtual leadership. Managers should spend a certain amount of time dealing with each and every team member. There are good experiences with concepts such as the “virtual coffee corners”. These are meetings without agenda to which people are invited to meet virtually and to discuss things that are currently on their minds.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960558
English version: ISBN 9783965960541 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).