Sense and nonsense of review portals
The meaning and nonsense of review portals is a hotly controversial topic not only in many marketing departments but also in the human resources sector - because of course there are numerous employer platforms on which dismissed employees can vent their anger even internals about the company.
The most recent example is the revelations to Cambridge Analytica, which have recently been publicized by former senior officials.
As with Cambridge Analytica
And so it comes that companies fear not only customer ratings like the devil's holy water, but almost more the unruly, uncontrolled acts of revenge by employees as they find plenty of money on the net.
On the other hand, some companies use a lot of effort to put themselves in a better light. Tips from a reader on how to use reviews for yourself.
10 tips for using evaluation portals in the evaluation
Some time ago, one of our readers reported in a really constructive, but unfortunately not publicly available comment, how he used rating portals for his application.
I have exatraised some tips for the application process and supplemented by further own tips. The result is this overview:
- Trust is good, control is always better: MJ recommends with a healthy mistrust in the applications the chaff from the wheat to separate. Then, he says, the evaluation portal can also be used well for the application process.
- Beware of big fluctuations: Caution is always offered when the valuations of a company oscillate between extremely good and extremely bad. This suggests that the company with appropriate PR power the bad ratings tries to catch.
- Beware of adulation: Even with excessive praise, caution is advised, because that also suggests that in the background the PR machinery is running.
- Beware of mayflies: Caution is also offered when a company has only a few and exceptionally bad reviews in a very short period of time. This speaks for isolated acts of revenge.
- Read reviews: If you read the reviews, even the positive ones, and look closely at the benefits, there is also one or the other Klops - for example, the internship in the home office, rated by the employee quite positive, on closer inspection but a narrow-gauge practical course ,
- Stay away from bad reviews: If a company has consistently had bad reviews for years, it means that the company is actually not good. So better fingers away.
- Durable design evaluations: If a company has consistently constant ratings that the company does not just praise or lament in the sky, but also criticize the constructive and differentiated criticism, this means that one can trust these evaluations.
- It does not depend on the numbers: The large number of companies seduces to make a pre-selection after the number of evaluations and the grade. In fact, the emphasis is not on the note, but on the differentiated comments that require a closer look.
- Companies respond to positive reviews: It is evidence of initiative and interest in the company, when one talks about the constructive and positive criticisms in the discussion. These can be the basis for a good conversation.
- Avoid negative reviews in the interview: At least if you absolutely want a job. Because it testifies to the self-confidence of an applicant to also address the company to negative reviews. I personally think that's good, but as MJ writes so fittingly, “speaking of derailing facial features would still be harmless”.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965962743
English version: ISBN 9783965962750 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).