Recently, a customer asked me if she could still afford to be represented in all social networks. The question always comes as a surprise to me because social networks can be used for the establishment of a professional network, for professional exchange and ultimately even for job search.
However, anyone who creates a profile in each network and hopes that the dream employer looks over, quickly seems aimless and disinterested. Who wants to use social networks properly, must communicate! So make contributions, make recommendations, ask questions. Networking means reaching out to other people.
The time-eaters are the others
This is the only way to get to know employers at all. And that costs time. For a professional use one should spend one hour a day for each network.
The biggest time wasters on the net are the messages of other people - free of Sartre's "Hell are the Others." In fact, time is spent reading the target audience, identifying trends and topics, and monitoring friends / followers / contacts, etc., most of the time ,
Setting priorities is important
It quickly becomes clear that as an individual all networks can not be used at all. What helps: Select. Because each is different. Xing and LinkedIn, for example, are business networks and designed for professionalism. Facebook and Twitter are more of a private nature, but many are now used professionally.
But, if you're forced to press 140 characters on Twitter, to be easy to come by, you're just as unbelievable as someone who wants to be serious about Xing at any price. Or in other words, the network must fit into personality and target group. Do not be more than half-hearted!
10 Tips: How to Use Social Networks Efficiently in the Job?
Social networks are big time-eaters: 10 tips, how they nevertheless efficiently use them.
- What do you want? First, consider who you want to reach with which network and which strategy you can use.
- For whom is which network interesting? For creative and technical professions, Instagram and Snapchat offer more opportunities, while conservative industries tend to use Xing and more recently LinkedIn.
- What are potential employers doing? are Companythat you would like to work in this network? Then you should also be there and try to establish a contact.
- Use social networks to gather information: You can collect a lot of information about potential employers in the social web, eg How open is the company, how do you deal with criticism, how do people think?
- Use social networks to draw attention to yourself: those who only consume are not perceived. Therefore, you need to be constantly active in order to draw your attention: Spread interesting information, link it to your own blog contributions, ask questions, interact with companies in dialogue.
- Authenzität ist Trumpf: In social networks, it is about showing others who you are, so be always authentic and personal.
- Caution Image loss: Even when it comes to authenticity: Always look at your statements from the point of view of potential employers - corporate gossip or anger over the former boss have lost nothing in the network.
- Find interesting people: Do not just look for your dream companies, but interesting people and find out who they are. So you might bump into potential employers you did not know existed.
- Make use of the profiles: Take advantage of the possibilities to create a brief, meaningful biography to record just the most important about yourself, so that professional contacts are always up to date.
- Also referencing the personal XING, LinkedIn profile or blog is useful for employers to know where to find more information.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).