Analyze your work
It is a widespread mistake to believe that time management replaces the previous day's schedule with a rigid framework of guidelines, which one has to keep from now on slavish. The opposite is the case: although time management gives the day-to-day work a structure that will gradually replace the existing life habits.
But the real goal is to analyze your own way of working exactly and to find out how to optimize it as well as to eliminate or eliminate superfluous tasks. If you stick to it, you will end up gaining more freerooms rather than constantly running after your schedule.
From studying to professional life
It all starts with studying: choosing the right courses, compiling a curriculum that can be mastered, lecturing and reworking lectures and seminars, signing up for exams, learning to write scientific texts - and all that is available Time. In addition, many have to finance their studies with part-time jobs and should also prepare for work with internships.
In everyday working life, the hardly manageable amount of work then continues: documents and contracts, meetings and telephone conferences, writing reports, conducting negotiations, discussing with colleagues, developing and pitching projects - the list of possible tasks could be continued indefinitely.
More than you can create
In fact, one of the biggest problems with time management for many is that they get more work than they can do. What helps here is to say "no" in a friendly but determined way, or to look for someone to help you get the job done.
Another problem is the frequent interruptions and distractions that are so exposed in everyday office life. The chat in the coffee kitchen that takes a bit longer - after all, you have to stay up-to-date. The chat over lunch followed by Schnitzelkoma. And in the evening, the networking event.
Distinguish important from unnecessary
Those who do not consistently separate important tasks from unnecessary pastimes can quickly lose sight of their goals. The prerequisite for this, of course, is that you realize what tasks are really important.
Because only this puts you in the position to set the necessary priorities to manage his time meaningful. However, it is important to always include buffers and recovery breaks.
Keep distractions from the body
Sometimes you have to keep such distractions deliberately. For example, if you are disturbed and interrupted during work by unpleasant interlocutors.
What helps: meet in the other person's office. If you want to end the conversation, just say, “I see you have a lot to do. It is better if I go now ”. If the conversation takes place in your office, go to the Opening address to the guest too. Stay for the entire conversation. It is unlikely that your counterpart will sit down if you do not.
10 tricks for better time management
Overall, good time management is to first analyze your habits and then optimize your own schedule. We'll show you how.
- Goal setting: Make yourself clear: what is important to you? And what do you have to do? You need to challenge your goals, but also be realistic and flexible at the same time.
- The Timeline: Analyze each day over several weeks, which helps you spend your time around. Write down where, when and how long you work efficiently - and when, how often and how long you are interrupted.
- Measure efficiency: Also check whether you are working efficiently enough: Is the time required for a task appropriate? Does the desired result come out at the end? Or are there too many breaks and interruptions?
- Analyze biorhythm: Your personal biorhythm is also important - and it is a little different for everyone. When do you work particularly well and when does not work?
- Set priorities: Which of your tasks are important, which ones are urgent? And which are neither important nor urgent? You will find that some unimportant tasks can be just as good.
- Schedule: Plan exactly when you want to accomplish which tasks and how much time you need for it. Write it down exactly: first the important and urgent, then everyone else.
- Endpoint Planning: Especially for longer-term projects such as: Define a final state and then consider which steps are necessary to achieve this.
- Taking breaks: It will bring little if you work till the fall. Therefore, plan phases for regeneration. Plan the breaks according to your biorhythm.
- Schedule unforeseen: Oftentimes things happen that you could not even anticipate. If you only plan 60 percent of your time, then you still have air for sponate events.
- Monitoring of results: Did the result come out at the end? Could you increase your efficiency? Do you have less stress? If not, you need to better adjust your time management to reality.
- Turn off troublemakers: Avoid unnecessary distractions; Ask yourself whether the chat with colleagues or the network meeting in the evening really bring so much.
- Practice creates masters: Do not worry if the time management does not work out right away. In the course of time, you will be able to realistically assess the tasks you are able to accomplish and plan your time optimally.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965962484
English version: ISBN 9783965962491 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).