Allways on or offline times?
There is WiFi everywhere or at least UMTS and we are used to being “always on”. All over? No, there are actually still situations in which we have to get along without the familiar internet or voluntarily do without it, for example because we do not want to pay the expensive additional tariffs.
These include, for example, air travel, rail travel on overland routes, stays abroad, various rural areas with dead spots or family stays with relatives who do not have Wi-Fi.
We are used to being online all the time
I think everyone has been in such a situation before, in which I am always painfully aware of how much we are now accustomed to having access to our data through the cloud at any time, through social media or via eMail always be able to communicate with everyone and above all be able to find all the information we need right now on the Internet.
Apart from the owners of a Google Chrome book, most of us have a laptop or computer that also works offline. And that means you can work just as well without the Internet - provided that you prepare yourself for the phases of being offline.
8 tips for the productive use of offline time
A small workflow from my practical work that can certainly be complemented by you:
- To plan: The most important tip is not a tool. The point is to make it clear in advance which of his works can be done offline and for which the Internet is absolutely necessary. Writing, for example, is a job that you can do excellently offline on trains or on the plane because you will not be disturbed there. For the search, however, you need the Internet. For example, if I know that I will be offline for a long time, I'll save the letter for later, but try to do the research in advance. It does not always work, because I also need information in between times - I mark each body then, for example, each in the text. But offline times can be used so highly productive.
- Save required material beforehand: What will my research look like if I know that I will be offline for a long time and need the material? I've been looking for a good way to store websites quickly and easily, which is not so easy. And that's exactly why we offer Best of HR – Berufebilder.de® our texts also as PDF download.
- Cloud yes, but available offline: For some time now I have been using Dropbox as a desktop, i.e. as a clipboard for everyone ArticleI'm currently working on. With strictly confidential data, such as my passwords, I would still have problems with cloud-based services, but for files that are constantly updated, it has simply proven to be the most practical, because otherwise I can quickly get confused. The Dropox is available as a normal folder on all computers and synchronizes itself when you go online. Attention: If you only have a limited data volume on the go, you should switch off the Dropbox.
- eMails write and answer: Whoever is unfinished eMails, for which it is downright to do this offline. To do that, move the pending ones eMails into a ToDo folder and can then answer them during the offline time. After “sending” they end up in the outbox. The next time the device is in contact with a WLAN or mobile hotspot, all mails will automatically go to the recipient. However, one shouldn't just concentrate on answering eMailbut also writing new ones, such as delegating tasks. Or send inquiries that you have not come to. A look at the task manager tool of your choice helps if this also works offline.
- eMailMake it available offline: If you have a POP-3 access and a desktopeMailProgram has little problems here. Most of you will surely use IMAP to get the eMailCall on different devices to keep in sync. I've used Thunderbird for a long time, where you have the offline availability of eMails can be set optionally. It always worked relatively smoothly for the incoming mail, but I often forgot to synchronize my numerous subfolders - and then realized that I did not have the necessary information with me. By the way, for a while, like so many others, I was totally on Gmail as well eMail-Changed the program - because then the annoying, error-prone synchronization with the mail program is completely eliminated. But not without making sure that there is an offline solution for Gmail too. The tool is simply called “Gmail offline” and is available as an app in Google Chrome. By the way, you should also make sure not only to synchronize the inbox, but also all the necessary folders. For data protection reasons, I no longer use Gmail.
- Collaboration tools: There are also tools that are intended for offline use, but I do not want to rely on them yet. The collaboration tool Gdrive is one of those. You can set Google, that the files should also be available offline, then writes offline directly in Gdrive and the contents are synchronized at the next online gear. Could be a fine thing, but I had the impression for several reasons that Gdrive is not yet fully developed. Therefore, I stay here first with the more old-fashioned office desktop solution.
- Share articles in social media: Even if you are offline, you can share readable texts on the social web. There is a practical solution: ifttt makes it possible to post per eMail to tweet or post on Facebook or anywhere else on the web. To do this, send the respective link by mail to a special ifttt address and assign the subject with the hashtag defined at ifttt. The tweet or Facebook post will be posted as soon as the eMail has left the outbox.
- Brainstorm and write: However, my favorite activity during my offline phases is writing texts. I save these eg in Google Docs or my Dropbox. Alternatively, you can also do this yourself eMail Send. Later, when I'm back on the net, I can retrieve these texts then practically from other devices and continue to work on it, about to make a book or blog post.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960626
English version: ISBN 9783965960633 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).