Good reasons for the delegation
Ideally, the transfer of tasks is a relief for the executive and a competence expansion and new motivation for the employees. Further advantages for both parties are for the management:
- Relief in routine and employee tasks
- Completion of the task by an expert
- Creation of free spaces
- Employee Satisfaction
- development opportunities
- Introduction of one's own competence
- Increase of freerooms
- Life at work
6 Success Factors for delegating
Therefore, managers need to ask themselves which factors are decisive for a successful delegation. In order for you and your team to benefit from this, it is imperative to make the employees actors and to transfer responsibility to them:
- Authority: Provide action and decision-making opportunities and authorize your employees to satisfy internal and external customers.
- Competence / Confidence: Help your team with the necessary skills and competencies and trust that they will perform tasks independently and on their own responsibility.
- Trust: Create trust between the company and its employees. Higher virtues such as commitment and responsibility as well as self-initiative for the company can not be enforced.
- Opportunities: Give your team the opportunity to act independently and autonomously in the interests of the company.
- Responsibility: Give your employees the responsibility to live up to their upgraded function.
- Support: Support your employees, for example, in the role of a coach, but leave the responsibility to their people.
If leaders take these principles to heart, the most important prerequisites for successful delegation are created. When you assign specific tasks, you can also follow the seven rules:
Rule 1: Estimate the tasks.
First of all, their analysis:
- What tasks must be performed at all?
- Which tasks are to be completed?
- What is the final result?
- Can deviations be tolerated?
- What are the difficulties?
Rule 2: Select the right people.
Which employee or team member can do the job best:
- Who is suitable for execution?
- Who already has appropriate competencies
- For whom is the task motivating?
- Who can be helped with the task?
- Who has what temporal resources?
The distribution should be based on workload and qualification. Give your employees tasks in which they can compete and show their abilities. Make sure you do not "pour in" your tasks with people who are highly motivated and eager to take on challenges. Nor should routine activities, which are more or less unpopular, always end up with the same person.
Rule 3: Write a clear work order.
Prerequisite for successful delegation is a precise work assignment. Necessary information and expectations should be clearly communicated and best recorded in writing. The following questions are to be clarified:
- What? Definition of objectives, results and expectations
- Why? Highlighting the need and importance of the task
- As? Exact description of the expectations, clarification of rules and conditions
- When? Preparation of a plan, agreement of deadlines
- By which? Provision of work equipment and powers
Rule 4: Consider competencies and powers.
Successful delegation can only be delegated if you provide not only the work, but also the necessary competences. Ensure that employees receive the necessary information and decision-making skills as well as work and financial resources.
Rule 5: Check intermediate results.
Delegating is always a matter of trust. Control should be carried out. However, as little as possible and as much as needed for success. As a leader, you should work with the employee to determine when to begin the work, when to complete it, and when to finish the interim results. This is especially important for lengthy and difficult jobs. Ask for important tasks in between, get yourself and give feedback.
Rule 6: Be approachable for questions.
As a leader, you should be able to work your employee at work, but not leave him alone. He must know that he can always ask you questions and problems.
Rule 7: Discuss the results together.
Executives and employees should review the end result together - in alignment with previous targets.
- Was effectively bypassed with the available time,
- carefully worked and
- were the funds used correctly?
The scope of the task should also increase the duration of the evaluation interview and also clarify the following questions:
- Is the responsible person himself satisfied with the result?
- What worked well and where was the problem?
- What would have helped to make the job even better?
If difficulties are encountered, also check whether it is due to the order or perhaps the general conditions. And do not forget to present positive things as such. If these basic policies and practices are followed, all participants - leadership, employees, and ultimately the entire company - can only benefit from the delegation and grow.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).