Team-capable - definition
In at least every second job advertisement there is the word that nobody understands correctly. "You are able to work in a team" or "we require teamwork". We include formulations such as “you act in a team and service-oriented manner” or “cooperative behavior”.
If we ask customers if they are able to work in a team, almost everyone ascribes it to them. Even if some colleagues don't like to hear the term and groan at the word “team”. They have often had bad experiences with teamwork. Typical nerve factors are ineffective meetings and meetings where nothing comes out - or just a lazy compromise. If they weren't, (almost) everything would be fine - that's how many see it.
Customer view on team ability
If we ask customers what they understand by teamwork, we get very different answers.
1. Working harmoniously with others?
Some interpret it as an ability to work harmoniously with others. Signs of good teamwork are for them the lunch together and a feeling of belonging together. Team-able, who respects harmony and communicates well.
Team development is above all “doing together”. Subordinating one's own ego seems to be the main task in such a context. In the job, everyone usually has their own tasks.
2. Interdisciplinary cooperation
The others interpret teamwork as a competence for interdisciplinary collaboration, in which everyone gives their part to the whole. This is about the “I”, that is, the individual, as well as the we, that is, all together.
Basically like the football game that you can only win if everyone participates. In which there is a kind of collective consciousness and self-confidence and a common goal - the victory.
How does teamwork look like?
Traditional work is often characterized by the first image of teamwork.
Such teamwork often takes place in Grossraumburos, where they are used, for example, in the field of sales, in which each has its customers, but supports the others with problems and questions.
Teamwork in New Work
New work in the digital age, on the other hand, is often determined by a collaboration of the second kind. This type of cooperation is complex because it is necessary to create a balance.
Bayern Munich can demonstrate that this balance between me and us is possible, even if there are individual stars in a team. HSV is currently showing that even good single players are of little use if the “we” doesn't work.
Leadership in the team
Large differences in performance can also be observed in company teams. There are teams that play well together - and others, because the possibilities of the individual simply don't add up ...
By the way: Harald Smolak has in his contribution how complex the topic leadership is in the team Leadership in the team is difficult: 5 tips for better management and also gives 5 tips on how to do it better.
6 relevant team competences
We have identified six relevant team competencies, which together define the degree of teamwork: willingness to cooperate, attitude, communication, self-knowledge, reflexion and structural capacity.
All are relevant, and only if they all play together, is there a form of teamwork, which also allows for a joint performance and a succession of players.
- Cooperation: Cooperative willingness is therefore important, because each individual must be willing to cooperate with the others. This sounds simple, but in practice it is often quite hard. If team members have the experience that not the sharing of knowledge, but the restraint is rewarded, this undermines willingness to cooperate. A kind of pseudo-cooperation emerges, at the end of which everyone is careful not to release too much knowledge.
- Attitude: The attitude is the basic requirement: Who does not believe in common goals and does not see the team as an opportunity for their own development, does not have the right attitude for teamwork. This may be related to the previous team experiences were disappointing. Or that Company and team leaders were unable to set common goals.
- Communication: Communication is the easiest way to learn. To give feedback is, for example, an art that not everyone has mastered. The point is not only to praise or to criticize, but both. And there is the simple rule: No feedback is the worst at all - and at the same time the most common.
- Self-knowledge: Without self-knowledge no recognition of others. Only those who know their own strengths and limits, can really appreciate the others. If, for example, you are afraid to make mistakes because of a bad self-image, you will be so concentrated that you can barely see them. Self-knowledge means having a realistic assessment, neither too low nor too high. This point is the most personal of all. The team can help develop self-knowledge, as it always offers a comparison, a kind of bar.
- Reflectivity: Reflectiveness is closely linked to this. This not only involves thinking about oneself, but also about the relationships between one another and the processes in the team. How did something go? How do we work together? What is good - and where is it?
- Structural Ability: Structural capability is often underestimated. It is the ability to pursue goals, to focus on the crucial point, to make plans and to distinguish the important from the unimportant. The effects of a lack of structural ability in everyday office life are omnipresent: just think of uneven workloads or the famous “social” lazing around. “TEAM = great someone else does it” also has a lot to do with how much everyone cares about goals.
At the end...
Team skills and team competences are comprehensive, complex topics. Therefore, there is Best of HR – Berufebilder.de® many other specialist articles by various authors worth reading. Have a look below at the recommendations “Readers also like” or use the search function. In any case, enjoy reading and browsing.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).