The old antithesis of good and evil!
Actually, you already know that, because every action film has a perfect command of this style: Contrast, also called antithesis in jargon, between contrasts such as fast - slow, lavish - profitable, complicated - simple, etc. It even works interculturally.
The effect of the antithesis is: The dark anti-value makes my value shine even brighter. And the contrast ensures that the listener does not mentally drift off, but remains attentive to the matter. Incidentally, deliberately used questions also have a similarly stimulating effect. Both stylistic devices bring action to your speech.
rhetoric the political speech
Even in politics, political speech and rhetoric, the antithesis, the contrast of one of the most popular stylistic devices, is the voters 'and listeners' favor: right - left, up - down, black - white, light - dark.
But even in the economic context can be effectively formulated with the antithesis: fast - slow, wasteful - profitable, complicated - simple, etc. Served here are quite archaic patterns: Every successful film, every exciting novel, but also every rousing speech lives on the opposite of good and evil. A real highlight, then.
Stylistic overview: sharpening with antitheses
The antithesis can also be increased by the fact that the anti-value is disproved in the argument by my thesis (concessio, prolepsis), or even ridiculed as with the irony.
Here are some stylistic devices of the rhetorical antithesis at a glance:
- Antithesis: Parallel in sentence construction / contrary in content. Value and anti-value in one sentence Avoid sponges - speaks plain text. polarized; shows light and shadow sides and generates a voltage. Helps to make decisions.
- Limbic Keywords: Limbic values and limbic anti- values of the counterpart explicitly. Link your own solution with limbic values, the actual state or the solution of the competitor with antivirus.
- Irony: The irony expresses the opposite of what the speaker really wants to say. Refer humorously to the shadows (hell).
- Concessio: Translucent permit. Apparently grant the opposing argument. Takes the wind from the sails. Is credible and generates trust.
- prolepsis: Proper anticipation. They name and invalidate possible objections during the presentation. Then comes a surprising twist in the argumentation in your favor. This has the advantage that you are able to defy objections well in the preparation well and effectively.
To stimulate thinking with rhetorical questions
But questions also bring action in your presentation - you should simply not underestimate their great impact. Because questions make you think and initiate targeted interactions. With questions you can instantly draw your audience from their world into yours - and thus bring their message to them.
But questions make your audience, your audience more curious. More ideas, more inspiration, more answers. If you do not answer them right away, you can build a suspense on the answer / solution with questions.
Attracting attention with questions
Compared to claims, questions have the great advantage that they set the attention switch in the listener's brain to "on". Questions are convincing because they build up less pressure than claims.
As pressure generates backpressure, issues of resistance in the audience diminish against your position. The listeners are instead encouraged to think. Here are two examples:
- Rhetorical question: Suggestive sham question. They get a “yes” (approval) or a “no” (rejection of the opposite position) from the audience and are an important step in the persuasion process.
- Direct questions to the audience / to the interlocutor: Exchange and interaction with the audience. To be on the right track with his arguments.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).