Meetings - many go in ...
Meetings - many go in, little comes out, it is commonly said. So it makes sense to think about how to spend the time most sensibly. From the method "coffee maneuver" - announce, you go get some coffee, and then stay away 40 minutes - should be strongly advised against it at this point.
Although, of course, anyone who wants to work productively knows that tackling the root of "boring meetings" calls for a more radical approach. Even though this is not meant to be one time, in the end it is up to each one to decide what he makes of it.
Meeting frustration as a marketing gimmick?
I still remember my visit to the 25hours Hotel in Zurich West. There, I came across a funny marketing idea that, on closer inspection, is not so funny: on the tables were distributed conference papers with 10 slogans suggesting various activities on how to spend time in a meeting more or less meaningfully.
Some tips are obvious, others are not meant to be serious, and others are simply idiotic - so it's supposed to be funnier to find them on the tables of a conference hotel.
10 fun tips to kill time in the meeting
Before I go to the discussion, I would like to share the list with you.
- An old hat is this tip: "Use the WLAN and surf extensively."
- Creative, however, this idea: "Take a piece of paper and sketch a business idea. Every great startup started with a piece of paper. "
- Whether this distraction makes sense, however? "Look closely at the other participants in the meeting and start flirting wildly with another participant."
- After all, this is efficient: "pretend that you are listening but plan your wardrobe for the coming week."
- And this? Rather not to be serious, but could be funny: "pretend that you get an important call from Greenpeace."
- The really most sensible tip ever: "If you shut up, the meeting is over faster."
- Also this is no surprise, but at least creative: "Kritzle, quite old-fashion, on a sheet around."
- This is sexist and apparently assumes that most meeting attendees are men: "Dreams of the latest 10 Playboy covers."
- You should not do this here: "Send stupid sms to random contacts on your phone."
- While the last tip may be useful, "Do isometric toe exercises under the table."
The reality in many meetings
These tips are funny at first glance, also because one or the other piece of advice might be lived reality during many meetings. For who has not thought about his clothes the next week or played with his toes under the table or something similar?
The question that arises rather: how useful are such advices for the productivity of a meeting? And how useful are they for a conference hotel that should actually promote a place of productive meetings?
Organize meetings efficiently instead of killing time
I say: If a meeting were properly organized, you would not need such advice. Because as we already in many articles on Best of HR – Berufebilder.de® have found:
A meeting can be an extremely creative event - which, for example, can be specifically used to exchange information. And so the meeting is no longer a waste of time, but very helpful in the Teamwork.
Real productivity tips for a meeting
But there are a few conditions that need to be met to make a meeting really productive: for example, the topic of the meeting, the agenda and the goal should be known in advance - so that everyone knows what it's all about.
And somebody is needed who consistently leads the discussion in the right direction. Then a meeting is a very meaningful event.
Even more tips against meeting frustration
Because many meetings get sick that nobody really knows what the purpose of the meeting is. Then all talk to each other in the end and you have the unsatisfactory feeling, not really having spoken to each other.
And how do you make your meetings as painless as possible? Serious as well as humorous tips are welcome.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).