SEM, SEO, SEA - what's that?
Search engine marketing (also referred to as SEM for short) combines two disciplines: Search Engine Optimization (SEO) on the one hand, and Search Engine Advertising (SEA) on the other. What does that mean exactly? The former refers to the organic search result lists on Google and co., Ie the free, ad-free entries that are arranged according to a complex algorithm.
The SEA is about the paid entries above and next to the organic results to a search term. In this advertising form the advertiser usually pays per click on his ad, the final cost per click (CPC) is determined by an auction system and depends on the competition situation.
Search engine marketing for your own career website - 5 tips
Both disciplines offer the opportunity to attract potential applicants! The following five tips help implement a search engine marketing strategy:
Search engines take many factors into account when ordering organic search results. The robots of the search engines "crawl" your website and weight the content. Pages that are frequently and conspicuously linked internally are considered by the search engine to be particularly important in the context of the entire website. Only an almost invisible link from the footer will give the career portal little "power". Please note the following:
- Internal linking: If the career pages are to go to Google, then the career area should be easy to find and linked from the homepage and other sites of the company web site. A pure linking from the footer helps the career side only insignificantly.
- Overview Links: From the navigation of the career page, the overview pages should also be linked with the appropriate words, to which the page should ultimately also rank. This means that search engines can best be linked to the content of the linked page.
- Tip: Linking the most important job categories from the start page or even from the main navigation (for example, as a dropdown menu under the point "career") creates even more strength for the important category pages.
Especially with big ones Company, who are constantly looking for reinforcement in many areas, it makes sense to create a solid structure of the career website. Fixed overcategories with a large search volume should be created. An overview page with all marketing jobs or all jobs for engineering engineers has great potential to achieve exciting search word combinations such as "Marketing Jobs"
- Tip: Also categories with study course names offer themselves as Landingpages. The selected categories should be permanently accessible and assigned to a fixed URL.
2. Clean on-page work
Both the category pages and the individual tenders should be cleanly programmed and take into account the important criteria of search engine optimization. These include, in particular, the following aspects:
- Title - the "title tag" is an important ranking factor and also appears as the title of your page in the search engine results. Here, the important keywords must be housed within 70 characters!
- Headings - A clean tag on each subheading by headers is very beneficial. A h1 heading should at best only be used 1 times per page. Tip: Do not use headlines for "styling" the fixed navigation elements.
- Description - This serves as a brief description of the page content within the search results. This should be concise and in a nutshell and draw as many clicks as possible. The use of keywords is also recommended here, 160 characters should not be exceeded.
- Tip: Make use of the names of the city in the succinct places like the title and in headlines - the combinations with job title and city names are often searched for in search engines and the right target audience is reached.
3. Deactivate tenders: forwarding and, if necessary, reactivating
Individual tenders are not permanently up-to-date. Therefore, occupied vacancies are often simply taken off the net. It usually makes sense to redirect the URL used to the overview page, because the job posting may be linked internally or externally.
Thus, the potential visitors do not end up on an error page and the so-called "link power", ie the strengthening of a subpage for Google through links from internal and external websites, is passed on to the destination side of the forwarding.
This redirection usually occurs as 301 Redirect, if it should be a permanent forwarding. In special cases, an 302 forwarding, a temporary forwarding is useful if a URL is to be reused shortly.
If there is a regular requirement for certain positions, then it may be useful to always use the same URL for repeated calls! This may already have some links and therefore enjoys a basic trust in search engines and quickly recovers his former rankings after a temporary forwarding.
4. Use of external systems with a view to SEO
No question, HR software can be very useful and significantly improve the processes in the company. The decision to use a software solution in the first step is mostly independent of the SEO performance. At best, there is the possibility to reconcile both:
For this, it is primarily necessary that the overview pages and job postings continue to be on their own website and remain editable. The application process itself can then run on the system, but if the call itself in the software "hangs", then a ranking is very unlikely and, above all, difficult to influence yourself.
5. Use Google Adwords to find applicants
When you talk about Google Adwords, it's about paying ads over and next to Google's unpaid search results. This is the short-term way to make your own career website on Google for potential applicants directly searchable.
This is typically paid per click on your own ad, so you pay directly and get visitors for your career website. When optimizing search engines, you initially invest time and money in order to permanently receive free visitors from the search engines in the medium term - often a basic decision.
- As a first step, the company should focus on search engine keyword advertising, so I do not want to discuss the Display Network area.
- The key to success here are the keywords! As mentioned above, Google Adwords makes a combination of the job title with the company's location useful.
In the scarce ad text should be clear as quickly as possible, what awaits the potential candidate on their own website. On the one hand, one avoids paid clicks from inappropriate searchers and, on the other hand, leads suitable candidates to the appropriate job advertisement.
- Tip: Think about your ad only to switch to certain regions!
As a short summary, it can be said that search engine marketing offers a lot of potential for career websites. To be distinguished is the short-term and immediately effective advertising on paid advertisements and the long-term search engine optimization of the career portal.
The decision whether one or even both disciplines come into question is very individual to judge! One thing is very important in all measures in recruiting: The right success control! Above all, Google Adwords offers with the "Adwords Conversion Tracking" a strong solution, web analytics tools such as Google Analytics should be evaluated at best, any action!
Good luck with optimizing!
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).