Studying part-time is “in”
If workers who were still studying after their professional days were still exotic at the beginning of the century, this development has changed rapidly. The distance learning statistics 2009 shows that the boundary of 100.000 remote students was cracked for the first time.
What is not recorded in the statistics: In addition to the distance students there are still plenty of evening students. Estimated is their number of the same order of magnitude. As a part-time student, you are no longer alone nowadays.
Different forms of study
Anyone who has ever been involved in a career-accompanying study will soon have noticed that there are different time models. The two most used I would like to explain below:
- Distance learning: “Distance learning” is often used as a synonym for part-time study. However, this is not entirely correct, because you can also study part-time in your presence. Distance learning, as the name suggests, is a course of study that is done remotely. The most famous university is the FernUni Hagen, there are also numerous other private universities and training institutes that offer such a degree. With a distance learning course, enrollment gives you access to an online campus from which the teaching materials can be downloaded. Here you can chat with the ProfessorHe gives up his tasks or exchanges with his fellow students. In addition, you will receive learning letters by mail. On a few days per year, there are also face-to-face appointments where, for example, exams are taken.
- Evening courses: In this form of part-time study, after work and / or on weekends you still press the (high) school desk. So you study directly with the study provider in the circle of fellow students and not alone at home. As far as study time is concerned, there are very different regulations. Some providers offer a weekend study program in which the seminars are only scheduled on weekends. Other institutions open their lecture rooms for evening students twice a week (eg from 18: 00 - 21: 00 o'clock) as well as on Saturday evenings.
- Further study forms: In addition to these two models, there are also other time models, such as online studies. In principle, it is similar to remote studies, but the proportion of content taught or provided via the online platform is somewhat higher.
- Different degrees: It is also important to know that there are many different degrees in part-time studies. In principle, “distance learning” or “evening study” means only the form of learning, the study. Many part-time students have therefore experienced nasty surprises if they have not informed themselves in detail beforehand.
This is because it does not always lead to an academic degree, such as Diplom, Bachelor or Master. In addition, there are numerous providers who carry out further training courses with certificates. This is not dubious, and these degrees are also recognized by employers, but one can not, for example, equate an advanced degree with an academic degree. The career opportunities are generally better with a diploma, a Bachelor's or a Master's degree or an MBA in their pockets.
What should you pay attention to?
If you are interested in a career-oriented study, you should pay attention to three things:
- Time model: Which time model suits me? Am I the type who can study alone at home in the evening? Or is rather an evening study suitable?
- Degree: Do I want to pursue an academic degree? Then make sure that your course of study completes with a recognized degree such as Diplom, Bachelor or Master. These degrees are reviewed and accredited by agencies such as FIBAA or ZeVA.
- Providers: There are now hundreds of providers on the sideline education market. Inform yourself extensively, for example, use forums and independent platforms to get an idea of the colleges and academies.
Anyone who is studying for a postgraduate degree should consider carefully whether this form is very difficult to deal with.
You can find detailed research opportunities for all evening and long distanceCourses, especially with an academic degree, as well as experience reports on various providers.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).