Background to the study
Nomao, a European regional referral search engine, has evaluated well over 100 millions of posts from Internet users across five European countries from the 9 millions of sites it searches on a daily basis.
In France, England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France, not only country-specific differences but also questions such as: Which Company are rated? Which social networks are used for this? How often is commenting? Which expressions are used? And finally: Which content tendency do the comments have?
The results of the study
In the five largest European countries, eight times more comments were made about local businesses within four years. This figure will increase further in the coming years, for several reasons:
- More and more people own smartphones: between 2010 and 2011, the number of smartphones increased by 44 percent.
- More spread of apps on phones2: More than 1 million apps were 2011 in circulation.
- Creation of ever-new Internet favors on niche markets such as Yelp or tripadvisor.
Although the Europeans comment on the same addresses, the amount of content produced differs depending on the countries of origin and the local markets:
- 40% of all places annotated in the European Internet refer to gastronomy.
- The accommodation sector is average with 12 opinions the area that is most commented on.
- A place in the UK has an average of seven opinions: twice as much as other countries surveyed.
European internet users prefer to make benevolent recommendations, but not to publish negative reviews or to criticize them. The way of describing a location differs depending on the origin of the users:
- 80% of reviews of local businesses by internet users are positive.
- The Italian comments on companies are 2,5 times longer than Spanish.
- The service and the location are the most important criteria for the internet users.
- If the internet users comment on an address, the price is clearly not the most important factor.
- Only 1% of commented restaurants and 3% of hotels receive more than 200 reviews.
The short version of the online study is available at this link :.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).