Looking at the career choice?
Many school leavers are overwhelmed with the choice of training and study courses. Hundreds of public and private universities, thousands of vocational training and study programs - who comes fresh from school, can hardly overlook what training opens up which career opportunities or where there are advantages and disadvantages.
This is a real problem in a country where tradition still holds that initial education decides on the entire later career path - a development that hardly anyone can overlook when leaving school. It should actually plead for a more relaxed handling of the topic, a training path, where you can later adjust the course again and again.
Why can not you always adjust the points again?
Unfortunately, this is far too rarely the case, as all the talk about lifelong learning does not help. The course is often already set at work, only gradually think employers and Company here around, often enough due to demographic change rather than inner conviction.
Exactly why the topic of choice of occupation and study is pursued by many parents with such meticulousness - according to the motto: keep an eye on the choice of career. But what kind of education, which study offers secure perspectives on the job market in the long term? And which way steers a guaranteed off?
9 Tips for the right professional choice
If you do not want to be maddened by the topic of career and study, you should take the following 9 tips:
- Explore your own interests: Professional advisors advise pupils first of all to explore their own interests and desires, rather than wander around the Internet in the search for information and to get confused by the many possibilities. In the first place, the question arises about the topics that make one particularly busy and fun.
- See career choice as a process: A tip to this is to regularly keep a diary into which you regularly register your own observations. Experts are also warning about hasty decisions: career selection is a process that takes time and can not be decided from today to tomorrow. If you are looking for a crisis-proof job, you can regularly read the vacancies to the relevant professions in supranational newspapers and thus find out which courses employers pay particular attention to.
- Research in a targeted manner: Then you can use dan targeted information on the Internet. A first point of contact is the BERUFENET of the Federal Agency for Labor. This is where you will find descriptions of the activities and tasks of 3000 professions, as well as information on future perspectives and earning opportunities.
- Find the right way to your dream job: But it is not only: the OCCUPATIONAL also shows what training you have to do in order to reach your desired career, calls for alternatives and offers references to further information sources such as universities, professional associations or job advertisements. If you would like to find out which courses are available at which universities, you can get an overview in the database of studienwahl.de.
- Reality Check: However, one should also compare whether the desired study actually corresponds to one's own ideas. One way is to look for professional examples, parents, relatives, friends or people who are addressed in business networks like Xing, and to ask them about their career. An internship and their own experiences can also help to find out more about the desired career.
- Clarify requirements: But it is also important to find out about the requirements of a degree program and how to cope with it - for example in the examination regulations of the university pages. Because many new students have false expectations of their subject and then drop out of college faster.
- Use taster courses: Some universities also offer pupils the opportunity to take part in the regular university courses as an introductory student, taking up contact with future fellow students and exploring the premises. Nearly all universities also hold university information events, lectures or entire summer universities, which show pupils what happens at the university.
- What to look for in the consultation: More and more universities provide study applicants with virtual study advice, web-based aptitude tests or self-assessments, which can help solve the wrong ideas of a study subject. However, the results of an online test should always be discussed with a consultant. Everyone should turn to the one who does not keep up with the self-examination.
- Private advice and coaching offers use: There is free advice at the employment agency or the universities, but also numerous private study advisors offer their services up to a multi-month coaching process. The quality of the counseling can be very different: interested persons should discuss the contents of the consultation with the consultant at the earliest.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).