This entry contains content and information that may be out of date, eg due to legal or statistical changes. Because it can still be helpful to get an overview of the topic, you can still find it here.
History of BAföG
This means that you have an education that corresponds to your own abilities and interests. Qualified training should not fail due to lack of financial resources of the trainee, his parents or his spouse. However, the BAföG constantly changes, as the overview of its history shows.
- The BAföG entered into force for 1971 for the first time, replacing the Honnefer model, which granted performance-related subsidies.
- 1974 introduced the basic loan
- 1982 was almost completely canceled, BAföG was only granted as a full loan 1990 was introduced, after recognizing that fewer and fewer children from low-income families were studying, introduced an 50% -model: one half became from now on as a grant, the other half as a tin-free loan.
- Since 1996, students who still need money beyond the maximum funding period receive this as a full-interest bank loan. There are now some special regulations, eg for students who go abroad.
- 2001, the child allowance has been raised significantly, the children's allowance is now no longer counted as income, while children are also being taken into account during the study period, the promotion of East has been adjusted to the West, there is a debt sum total and an Auslandsstudium is encouraged.
2004, and 2005, new models appeared in the debate on study funding in the course of the discussion about study fees: A proposal: an independent basic financing (instead of child allowance) and a interest-bearing loan. And those who do not earn enough after their studies do not have to pay for anything until they deserve better. Instead, the state is to carry the loan. Still, these are only proposals for reforming the study funding - one may be anxious about what the future holds.
For the winter semester, the Bafög rates for students should be increased by two percent. This emerges from a key paper of the Ministry of Education, which is the "Rheinische Post" and is published today.
More money for more students
The maximum allowance will even rise from 648 to 670 Euro monthly due to an additional increase in health and long-term care insurance. "In order to provide students and students with the best possible personal training conditions, the means of livelihood should be adjusted," the paper says.
In addition, the group of students receiving Bafög is to be expanded. The parents' income until a child receives the full Bafög grant increases by three percent from the current 1555 Euro net monthly to 1565 Euro for married couples and 1070 Euro for single parents.
Is that safe?
Surely the planned change is not yet: the Cabinet wants to pass the law on the Bafög increase in April.
The financing is probably not yet clear: the Bafög amendment is expected to annually increase the cost of 373,4 million euros, it is said. No word about where the money comes from.
Nevertheless: investment in education: the right step in the right direction. Now more steps must follow!
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).