Travel badly planned - that comes out of it
I've recently seen how stressful a badly planned trip can end: At a conference, a company employee appeared late due to train delays.
Then it turned out that the hotel, which he had booked on site, is rather discouraged. He could not find another hotel in the area in the company's booking system. Good advice was expensive - and the stress was great.
Stress on business trips - business people complain about it
I have some commuting acquaintances who regularly provide amusement via Twitter and Facebook because they report about their late adventures with Deutsche Bahn - even though the ever-wilder infrastructure is actually a cause for howling.
The various stressors are also occupied by various surveys. Every year, the German Travel Association publishes the study "Chefsache Business Travel". Each year, it shows anew what traveling business leaders, professionals and executives are complaining about when traveling on business.
- Leading the way with the stressors again and again: badly chosen accommodations as in the story above. For example because the accommodations are too far from the airport or the meeting point.
- Also an important factor: lack of local orientation, for example, when non-resident business travelers have to fight on the spot through the jungle of public transport.
- And of course, the German train gets its fat away due to the more common delays. Frequently mentioned stressors also include unfavorable connection connections. And who has not experienced before, that you have to hunt with the suitcase through the station, and then only to see the taillights of the train in the end.
What to do against travel stress?
What do you do now against this travel stress? The DRV recommends a professional travel management at this point. I am not entirely convinced of this: Many employees in agencies and travel agencies on the ground, for example, have no idea about public transport. This is even more difficult for the travel manager of a company to survey.
The example above also shows that sometimes just the travel management, so the company-own booking system, can lead to stress. Apart from that, not everyone can Company to provide a professional travel management; especially small businesses and freelancers are dependent on doing everything themselves.
6 Tips for Relaxed Bussines Travel
- Do not save at the wrong end: Avarice is cool, often on business trips. So the cheap hotel is booked at the other end of the city, but the savings will be eaten up by the taxi costs. And anyway the taxi: I also like to save, but if you do not know a place at all and would need hours to get from A to B, then you should also treat yourself to a taxi, simply because it spares the nerves and ultimately makes you more productive.
- Car hire and Car2go use: Car hire and Car2go can be a good alternative to the taxi, a system that is now available in many cities. The cars should be equipped with a navigation device.
- Prepare yourself well: Especially when planning your own journey, good preparation is obligatory. In each city, for example, the local transport association has a website on which travel and route maps are recorded. You can preview, print or download it. Another option is the Deutsche Bahn website or the corresponding mobile app, which usually also includes local transport. Sometimes the public transport is a bit tricky and you only reach the destination in a roundabout way: If you are looking for train connections in Italy, you should use the website of the Austrian railway, because it contains all the trains, not just the Italian ones.
- Pack correctly: Proper preparation also requires proper packing. This already starts with the conscious shopping on the right clothes and utensils, but there are many other tips such as on the go sometimes wash or pack clothes in Zipperbags. Helps definitely.
- Come early to the airport: Please, waste more time, please? Yes, because then you may benefit from a certain amount of generosity, which you meet at the check-in desk, if you are there instead of two hours earlier. For example, then you have the free choice of space and can get a spacious seat at the exit or one behind a partition. Maybe even an upgrade to Business Class is possible. Good space means leg room and therefore more relaxed flying. But: Before jostling fellow travelers you will not be spared here.
- Lying down on the plane: This tip works only if the aircraft is not fully booked. Lie flat on two or three seats. Especially recommended on Intercontinental flights: You then arrive relatively relaxed to the destination. The upgrade to business class can also be an option here.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).