Experience counts more than testimonials
Regine Heidorn initially started several courses, but did not complete any. In order to be able to work in the IT area, she decided to continue her education at a private institute in Berlin, which she completed with a school certificate. “At the time, I thought I needed further training in order to gain a foothold in the industry,” reports Heidorn.
But the programmer soon realized that potential clients were primarily interested in references and experiences.
Expensive training worthless?
The expensive further training quickly turned out to be worthless: “Some of the teaching material was out of date, the supervisors preferred to refer to tutorials on the Internet rather than to explain content relevant to the exam. I have acquired everything that I can do today, ”she reports.
However, Regine Heidorn recognized the value of a reliable contact network in job hunting. And she discovered the social network Twitter, which enabled her to develop her contacts:
The customers know what you get!
“With Twitter I can not only demonstrate my skills, but also bring in my personality. So my customers know beforehand what to expect, ”she explains the benefits of the 140-character service.
And they also benefit from Heidorn's network: "Because my colleagues always point out new developments or show me how something can be better solved, my network also guarantees a certain quality and timeliness of my work."
75 percent of jobs via Twitter
For five years now, the Berliner has been active as @bitboutique on Twitter and online. She finds 75 percent of her jobs in direct exchange. An important part of your acquisition strategy: honesty. "If I can't do something, I say it and recommend the customer to someone from my network," says Heidorn, who is not afraid to take extreme positions in public discussions on Twitter.
Her customers, she says, appreciate exactly that: “Many are happy when I tell you exactly which programming services they need - and which not. And they trust me, precisely because I'm so critical and don't praise everything about the green clover! ”
Jobs before they know someone
Heidorn also uses other social networks such as Xing - but Twitter is her favorite tool: “With Xing, I can only put my competencies in a profile, via Twitter I can also communicate things like my hobbies or personal preferences - and so briefly and concisely that people also read when they have little time, ”the programmer makes the difference clear.
But this is often the result of unimagined job opportunities: Heidorn is, for example, a geocaching fan, a kind of carving with mobile devices. This led to the idea of a mobile excursion - and a lecture at the Berlin University of Applied Sciences in the project eVideo on mobile excursions.
It also works without completion
Heidorn admits: "I would never have thought that I could get teaching assignments without a degree." From her experience that you can also be successful as a dropout, she has just founded the association of graduates, which should make such careers visible.
However, she does not completely deny that some things would be simpler in the traditional way: “I do not apply to some job advertisements at all because, for example, I lack a degree. And: there are certainly potential customers who prefer to see certificates, ”admits Regine Heidorn. However, she sees a big advantage in her acquisition strategy: "I have exactly the jobs and customers that match my skills and that suit me!"
10 Tips: Twitter or Training - what's the better strategy for you?
For many, Twitter is still unfamiliar territory for job hunting. But it can be more efficient than making expensive training. We explain how it works.
- In which industry do you want to work? Is the fallow or the Company rather conservative, you should choose the traditional way. But if the company is open and maybe even represented on Twitter, try it.
- Your strategy: First decide who you want to reach via Twitter and with which strategy you can build your own brand.
- Find information via Twitter: You can gather a lot of information about potential employers on Twitter, eg How open is the company, how do you deal with criticism, how do people think?
- Common interests: Look for people who have similar interests as you do. This leads to common discussions
- Looking for differences: But you are also looking specifically for people who tick differently than you - which gives you a lot of different information and controversial debates that interest others.
- How do potential employers tweet? Twitter helps you to get a feel for potential employers: how do they behave, which topics do they find exciting?
- Show who you are: Those who only consume are not perceived. Therefore, you must stay active all the time to get noticed - with interesting information, links or questions.
- Honesty wins: Twitter is about showing others who you are: so be honest and authentic, tweet something private - but please do not be too private!
- Do not blaspheme: Corporate gossip or anger over the former boss have lost nothing on Twitter.
- Take advantage of the short bio: Use the 140 characters in the short biography to note just about the most important thing about yourself and your job application so that anyone can read it. A link to the blog or Xing profile will help interested people to find more information about them.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).