Experience counts more than testimonials
Regine Heidorn initially started several courses, but did not complete one. In order to be able to work in the IT sector, she decided to pursue further education at a private institute in Berlin, which she completed with a school-based certificate. "At the time, I thought that I needed such training to be able to gain a foothold in the industry," reports Heidorn.
But the programmer soon realized that potential clients were primarily interested in references and experiences.
Expensive training worthless?
The expensive training quickly proved to be worthless: "The content was partly outdated, the supervisor rather referred to tutorials on the Internet, as to explain exam relevant content. Everything I can do today, I have learned for myself, "she says.
However, Regine Heidorn recognized the value of a reliable contact network in job hunting. And she discovered the social network Twitter, which enabled her to develop her contacts:
The customers know what you get!
"With Twitter, I can not only prove my skills, but also bring in my personality. So my customers already know what they can expect, "she says, explaining the benefits of the 140 sign service.
And they also benefit from Heidorn's network: "Because my colleagues always point me to new developments or show me how to solve something better, my network also guarantees a certain quality and timeliness of my work."
75 percent of jobs via Twitter
For five years now, the Berliner has been active as an @bitboutique on Twitter and the internet. 75 percent of her jobs she finds here in direct exchange. An important part of their acquisition strategy: honesty. "If I can not do something, I say that and recommend the customers to someone from my network," reports Heidorn, who does not shy away from extreme views in public discussions on Twitter.
Her customers, she says, appreciate that: "Many are happy to tell you exactly what programming services they need - and which not. And they trust me, just because I'm so critical and do not praise everything about the green clover! "
Jobs before they know someone
Heidorn also uses other social networks like Xing - but Twitter is her favorite tool: "At Xing, I can only put my skills into a profile, via Twitter, I can also communicate things like my hobbies or personal preferences - and so briefly and succinctly that People also read when they have little time, "says the programmer.
But this is often the result of unimagined job opportunities: Heidorn is, for example, a geocaching fan, a kind of carving with mobile devices. This led to the idea of a mobile excursion - and a lecture at the Berlin University of Applied Sciences in the project eVideo on mobile excursions.
It also works without completion
Heidorn admits: "I never thought that I could get teaching assignments without a degree." Based on her experience of being successful as a drop-out student, she has just founded the Association of the Completed to make such experiences visible.
However, she does not deny that many things would be simpler in the traditional way: "I do not apply for a few job advertisements, for example because I do not have a university degree. And certainly there are potential customers who prefer to see certificates, "admits Regine Heidorn. However, she sees a big advantage in her acquisition strategy: "I have exactly the jobs and clients that suit my abilities and that suit me!"
10 Tips: Twitter or Training - what's the better strategy for you?
For many, Twitter is still unfamiliar territory for job hunting. But it can be more efficient than making expensive training. We explain how it works.
- In which industry do you want to work? Is the fallow or the Company rather conservative, you should choose the traditional way. But if the company is open and maybe even represented on Twitter, try it.
- Your strategy: First decide who you want to reach via Twitter and with which strategy you can build your own brand.
- Find information via Twitter: You can gather a lot of information about potential employers on Twitter, eg How open is the company, how do you deal with criticism, how do people think?
- Common interests: Look for people who have similar interests as you do. This leads to common discussions
- Looking for differences: But you are also looking specifically for people who tick differently than you - which gives you a lot of different information and controversial debates that interest others.
- How do potential employers tweet? Twitter helps you to get a feel for potential employers: how do they behave, which topics do they find exciting?
- Show who you are: Those who only consume are not perceived. Therefore, you must stay active all the time to get noticed - with interesting information, links or questions.
- Honesty wins: Twitter is about showing others who you are: so be honest and authentic, tweet something private - but please do not be too private!
- Do not blaspheme: Corporate gossip or anger over the former boss have lost nothing on Twitter.
- Take advantage of the short bio: Use the 140 characters in the short biography to note just about the most important thing about yourself and your job application so that anyone can read it. A link to the blog or Xing profile will help interested people to find more information about them.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).