The perfect cover letter has been created, the CV has been thought through from front to back and the application photo shot. Easily forgotten applicants, however, a component which for most recruiters has now become as self-evident as the daily cup of coffee: the Internet - it never forgets, at least not without its own.
In particular, privately used social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are in reality often only pseudo-private and often reveal unintentional information that is negative for the HR manager and can lead to an early end on the way to the dream job.
What does privacy mean?
"He mustn't look at that!" some may think outraged here that private network activities should have no influence on the evaluation of a potential new employee. In theory, including social media is actually a legal gray area.
The opinions of the lawyers differ whether the data are now publicly or non-publicly accessible. According to last year's monster recruiting trends, 55 employs a percentage of the top 1.000 companies in their recruitment and use social media for job advertisements, search for information, image advertising, and active search for candidates.
But how can applicants now actively use social media for themselves and their job search? 5 practical, fast-acting tips at a glance:
- Keep track: Over the years, a lot of data has accumulated on various platforms that are more focused on the private sphere, which do not necessarily flatter their professional image: You may find the photo of the merry pool party two years ago amusing - but a personnel officer does not necessarily share this opinion . Not only what you post yourself consciously, but also pages and people you follow or “like” could have consequences.
- Always pay attention to your privacy settings: Run “Ego-Googlen” from time to time or create a Google Alert in your name. Setting up and tidying up all of this takes time and effort, but is worth it if it is done correctly. Because even a small “cleanup” can be an indication for the recruiter how carefully you work and, above all, how you tick as a person.
- Stay present nevertheless: That doesn't mean that you should hide all your accounts and pretend you don't exist on the web. Knowledge of social media is in demand in many professions these days or even a minimum requirement. Now that all the stressful materials in the drawer "Only for friends" have disappeared, you can use the wide world of the Internet to position yourself positively.
- How to use social networks for yourself: You want to go through photography and have already experiences? Then show it on platforms like Instagram. Do you like to write blog posts in your spare time? Then post these posts publicly. Alternatively, you can also visit the company page, the relevant specialist media or persons.
- Keep an eye on Active Sourcing: Many companies are now active sourcing, ie they are looking for social media profiles of applicants for information. The decisive factor, therefore, is in any case, to have the motivation for action of the staffer in mind and which is always to find the optimal new appointment, which fulfills all requirements and also fits personally into the company.
Everything sounds rather banal, but is often forgotten. Especially in times of active sourcing and Co., one's own social media presence can be decisive in the fight for the dream job. Would not it be nice to be ahead of your competitors?
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965962743
English version: ISBN 9783965962750 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).