It is perhaps the most revealing insight on small talk Best of HR – Berufebilder.de®-author Cornelia Topf there in your post delivers:
When we stand in a circle, each with cocktail glass in hand, there is nothing better, warmer and uplifting than the feeling: "Wow! They all listen to me! And they love me! They love me! "Those who have not yet reflected, will never understand why we all so eagerly desire a high small-talk skills. It is the most powerful of all human motives: undivided, unadulterated, honest recognition.
Small Talk for the career
The catch is that you can win this attention only poorly quasi-planned. And that we usually do not know how to get into a nice, rather unconstrained and positive conversation.
Especially small-talk situations can help to make important contacts and thus advance one's own career - if you observe a few rules.
Secretly you envy the colleagues who manage to always have a friendly word on their lips in good spirits, which are popular with all - and thus always get the most interesting projects. Instead, the reality is usually pretty embarrassing:
- In the morning on the way to work, where you mute the colleagues in the train or bus mute.
- In the cafeteria or in the copying-room, where one waits with silence.
- Or in the hallway, where one quickly moves past the colleague without changing another word.
- So you are standing with tens of colleagues in the elevator, no one says a word, everyone stares enter the door.
Who can talk is clearly in the advantage
Who is able to talk is clearly in the advantage. Studies show that professional success depends only on 10 percent of the performance, 30 percent of the image, and 60 percent of the senior's level of awareness.
So, if you're a small talk, you'll be familiar with your colleagues and your superiors so you can promote your career. And which moments would be better for small talk than the many small vacancies, in which one meets the colleagues anyway?
Pressure makes conversation difficult
The fact that it is so hard for many people to fill the breaks is because one often puts pressure on oneself: instead of simply starting an entertaining session, one often feels that something special has to be said.
Quite a few are afraid what the other of them might think when they give themselves a nakedness. This is often overlooked: no one expects profound remarks on science, politics or art. Most people want to relax in the small talk, do not solve difficult problems.
Do not be afraid of fat
Even who gets into the wrong place: Other people have forgotten something faster than you think. Even a refusal is not a devastating judgment of the person. On the other hand, if you can still laugh at yourself, your sympathies will be on your side. So the embarrassment usually takes place in your own head. Start small talk right
Small talk is important for the career. We will give you a few examples of how to start a simple conversation in typical office situations. The main principle: Do not have any inhibitions, just get started!
10 typical situations and how you react best
- In the elevator: No one is distracted in the elevator, but most people find the situation uncomfortable. Just enter here: "We meet here all the time. Takes only ten floors, but at least. In which department do you work? "
- In the parking lot: In the parking lot offers just for men an optimal topic of conversation: cars. Just ask your colleague, "Oh, you own this great car? I admire it all the time! "
- By bus or train station: You meet the same colleague on the train or bus every day, but do not know what to talk about? Scold together on the train - that connects: "The train is sometimes too late, but it is more stress-free than by car - do not you think?"
- Before the meeting: Also in the time before a meeting, most participants just sit around waiting for the beginning. A good opportunity to talk about the topic of the upcoming or recent meeting: "We really achieved a lot last week. I'm curious how it works today. "
- In the hallway: The hallway is a good place to quickly talk to colleagues. Talk about how it works at work. Or what's in the canteen today: "Have you had stress today? I'm curious, what is good food today. We deserve it. "
- In the copy room: In the copy room, it is usually wonderful to be annoyed about the technology: "Now there is already a paper jam. Do you know how that works? "
- In the canteen: The food is a good, because non-verbal topic of conversation. Ask your colleague in line: "What would you recommend: the tortellini or the chicken breast?" Maybe it will make a nice table talk about Italian food or Italian table culture. "
- At the company party: Talk about the successes of the company. Or just about the music, the food, the drinks etc. Important: Always positive, never blaspheme about supervisors: "Is not that great what ours Chef since organized? He also has every reason to celebrate where things are going so well. The music is really great! But are there still salmon sandwiches? "
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).