What does good leadership look like?
Leadership only has a positive effect if it is accepted and professional. If people in organizations are adequately managed in line with their respective strengths, they can deliver top performance.
This is where development-oriented, situational leadership comes into play: tuned to the employee, to his or her competency in relation to the task and situation. They therefore carry the same employee according to their maturity level for a specific task - in task A market analysis for the US market and perform differently than in task B continuation of the market radar China.
What makes Situative leadership?
The employee must be able to rationally understand and emotionally accept the different management approaches. In other words, when your employee realizes why he or she is being guided in a specific way in a specific task, the sense of consistency within a leadership relationship may arise.
For there is not the right management approach, or even a valid management style, but only the appropriate leadership for a specific employee in relation to a specific task in a particular situation (the method used here uses the terms leadership approach and style of management synonymous).
Speeches and actions in the leadership are then congruent. In this respect, there is a chance that your employees will be happier with their leadership - with all the positive effects such as: Low sick leave, no demotivation and higher employee satisfaction. Of course, the way to get there is not linear, there can be grinding and regression: Professional leadership is continuous work.
Situative guidance offers guidance at three different levels:
- the question as to which management approaches exist in practice and how these are to be understood
- When asked which management style is the right one for which particular employee and which specific task
- How to proceed to introduce and anchor situational leadership in your team.
The method is suitable for anyone who wants to lead people in an organization and improve their leadership style. Be it as direct supervisor or as project manager. You do not need any special previous knowledge.
It is important that you have an idea of the tasks and goals of the people you lead. All you need is your head and two hours of time - and you must be willing to discuss and apply situational leadership together with your employees.
What is hidden behind situational leadership?
Management or management can be learned. The two terms are used synonymously. Situative leadership is a method by which the management task can be implemented by people.
But: Situative leadership is good-if only - when it is effective. Effectiveness means the interplay of effectiveness and efficiency in line with one of the founders of modern management, Peter Drucker. In this order:
- Effectiveness means to do the right thing: But what is right for your team or organizational unit? You need to know what your employee is dealing with and what goals they are pursuing. And above all, whether these are your goals too. Only when the question about the objective is answered does it matter Sense to deal with the following question.
- Efficiency means doing something right: But how do you do the right thing - without spending unnecessarily much energy, money and time? For example, if it is my goal to travel from Nuremberg to Munich without great effort, the choice between helicopter, airplane, bicycle and train is probably the most efficient means of transport, considering cost-benefit aspects.
- Contradictions between alleged and real leadership behavior: are one of the most common causes of stress in the individual leadership-employee relationship. If the intentional and actual behavioral behavior is very different, this can strongly demotivate employees. In order to lead effectively, it needs the unity of word (So we want to lead) and deed (So we actually do).
In order to be effective, different approaches are needed. The management approach depends on the degree of maturity of the employee for a specific task.
Effective leadership depends on how well the management approach and the degree of development of the employee concerned, in terms of task and situation, harmonize. It is important that an employee can have completely different degrees of maturity in different tasks and in different situations.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).