Change of direction: That's what the leadership of the future looks like
The strict hierarchy is becoming less important as a result of flatter organizations. At the same time, the network-like relationships of different specialist areas gain influence. The coexistence has become more complex and complex.
Particularly in cross-departmental projects, lateral guidance is practiced more frequently, usually temporarily. Freelancers are also involved in corporate processes as well as important suppliers or experts in an advisory capacity.
10 Tips for management on the same level
- Side by side: Characteristic of situations with lateral guidance is that the "leader" is on the same hierarchical level as the leader, ie side by side. The lack of authority to issue is the essential feature of this form of leadership. Influencing the opinion, motivation and actions of the group members is based on conviction and ability. Also disciplinary steps are eliminated. The focus is on trust and understanding.
- Colleague and Chief in Personunion: As a (special) colleague, the project manager has to ensure that the desired result is achieved with each other. A challenging task with limited powers. All the more, the project manager must be aware of his responsibility and decision-making authority, as well as his competencies and their limitations.
- Personal authority: Since the boss has neither power nor official authority, the success of the leadership task depends decisively on personal authority. How to adapt his task of achieving a project goal to every single member of the group.
- Leadership wants to be learned: If highly qualified employees are entrusted with the management task for an adequate project, they must first take their "professional blinkers". Only looking beyond the horizon makes it possible to recognize, accept and guide the concerns, motivations and needs of the project participants.
- Willingness to learn: Executives should also have a certain willingness to learn. If, for example, a reliable coordinator receives the project management, he / she has to go into the professional field so far that he / she is able to assess possible connections and thus make reliable decisions.
- Common goal: All participants must recognize and acknowledge the common goal. Only if everyone can be confident and fulfill their tasks in the sub-area so that they benefit the overall project can it succeed. Then the detailed elaboration can remain in the hands of the specialists. The "leader" should not interfere, because that could act as a lack of confidence and cause boycotts.
- Communicate with each other: A good communication from the beginning is the A and O. Through early information about contents and the foreseeable duration, all participants can adjust to the course. The first joint meeting should therefore be intensively prepared: the manager should be familiar with his / her interlocutors, have all the necessary documents at hand, and have structured the procedure at least mentally. So armed, nothing stands in the way of a self-conscious appearance.
- Common thinking horizon: Priority is given to factual information. The reason and goal of the conversation are explained as well as the probable sequence. Subsequently, the initial position, the actual and the desired state are described and substantiated with facts.
- Common motivation: The benefit is to be formulated - for the interlocutors, themselves and that Company, This added value is an important driving force for the success of a project. In the planning of the further procedure the colleagues should be involved. Everyone is invited to contribute their thoughts. Best with concrete questions: What do we do until when? Who does what until when?
- Compare views: Not right away, one way will emerge. It is more likely that very different possibilities open up. The fate of the leader is to approach the goal by negotiating, weighing, cooperating and motivating. Like a coach, the leader has to put himself in the different perspectives of the participants and align these "realities". Where there are matches, one can speak of a common view that is aligned with the common goal.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).