Change of direction: That's what the leadership of the future looks like
The strict hierarchy is becoming less important as a result of flatter organizations. At the same time, the network-like relationships of different specialist areas gain influence. The coexistence has become more complex and complex.
Particularly in cross-departmental projects, lateral guidance is practiced more frequently, usually temporarily. Freelancers are also involved in corporate processes as well as important suppliers or experts in an advisory capacity.
10 Tips for management on the same level
- Side by side: It is characteristic of situations with lateral leadership that the “leader” is on the same hierarchical level as the “leader”, ie side by side. The lack of authority to issue instructions is the main characteristic of this form of management. The influencing of opinion, motivation and action of group members is based on conviction and ability. There are also no disciplinary steps. The focus is on trust and understanding.
- Colleague and Chief in Personunion: As a (special) colleague, the project manager has to ensure that the desired result is achieved with each other. A challenging task with limited powers. All the more, the project manager must be aware of his responsibility and decision-making authority, as well as his competencies and their limitations.
- Personal authority: Since the boss has neither power nor official authority, the success of the leadership task depends decisively on personal authority. How to adapt his task of achieving a project goal to every single member of the group.
- Leadership wants to be learned: If highly qualified employees are entrusted with the management task for an adequate project, they must first remove their “professional blinders”. Only looking outside the box makes it possible to recognize, accept and steer the concerns, motivations and needs of those involved in the project.
- Willingness to learn: Executives should also have a certain willingness to learn. If, for example, a reliable coordinator receives the project management, he / she has to go into the professional field so far that he / she is able to assess possible connections and thus make reliable decisions.
- Common goal: Everyone involved must recognize and recognize the common goal. It can only succeed if everyone goes along confidently and fulfills their tasks in the sub-area in such a way that they benefit the overall project. Then the detailed elaboration can remain in the hands of the specialists. The “leader” should not interfere, because it could act as a lack of trust and trigger boycott attitudes.
- Communicate with each other: A good communication from the beginning is the A and O. Through early information about contents and the foreseeable duration, all participants can adjust to the course. The first joint meeting should therefore be intensively prepared: the manager should be familiar with his / her interlocutors, have all the necessary documents at hand, and have structured the procedure at least mentally. So armed, nothing stands in the way of a self-conscious appearance.
- Common thinking horizon: Priority is given to factual information. The reason and goal of the conversation are explained as well as the probable sequence. Subsequently, the initial position, the actual and the desired state are described and substantiated with facts.
- Common motivation: The benefit is to be formulated - for the interlocutors, themselves and that Company, This added value is an important driving force for the success of a project. In the planning of the further procedure the colleagues should be involved. Everyone is invited to contribute their thoughts. Best with concrete questions: What do we do until when? Who does what until when?
- Compare views: One way will not emerge immediately. It is more likely that very different options will open up. It is in the skill of the leader to approach the goal by negotiating, weighing up, cooperating and motivating. Like a coach, the leader has to understand the different perspectives of those involved and compare these “realities” with one another. Where there is agreement, one can speak of a common view that is geared towards the common goal.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965965584
English version: ISBN 9783965965591 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).