Even the boss has a boss
Most managers in turn have a supervisor. Although she herself is the boss of a team, an office, a department, a factory or a division in the Company they also have a higher-ranking boss in the hierarchy.
Classical management training is also based on the clear definition of hierarchies and management levels. It is thought from top to bottom.
change of direction
The question of how to deal with one's supervisor as an executive is ignored. In practice, then it is exactly at this point to difficulties.
However, in order to be successful in the long term, at least as much as from the results of the self-directed responsibility area depend on a good working relationship with the supervisor.
Thinking from bottom to top can help wherever there is no power. If different interests are considered, common goals can also be supported.
Expertise, good ideas and new ideas create a high degree of acceptance in (invisible) leadership. This is especially the case when the benefit for the employee is brought to the fore.
Manage the boss
Often highly motivated employees change jobs frustrated because they can not cope with their supervisor. They often get from the rain to the eaves. Because even with the new position, there is a supervisor. Another, but not necessarily a better one.
The cooperation with the new boss shows that even this has edges and corners, which the employee can not ignore, but must accept. If you do not want to endure your boss, you have to "manage" him.
How does the boss tick?
Better than looking for the ideal boss, is to deal with his (imperfect) boss:
- What kind of person is he (or she)?
- What special peculiarities does it have?
- Does he favor details or summaries?
- Does he need interim results or final results?
- Does he like to listen, or does he prefer to talk himself?
- He likes to read eMails or is he on the phone?
- Does he prefer only a few longer or several brief discussions?
- What do they mean by interpersonal relationships and conversation topics?
The boss does not have to love
In whatever position the questioner is, it always serves its own benefit to seek and find answers to these and similar questions. Only those who know how the other one is ticking can adapt to this and avoid friction points. To work constructively with his supervisor you do not have to love him But you should know him well. Because then the employee can "manage" him.
5 tips to influence the boss positively
- Chefs need success! Anyone who helps his or her superiors will be appreciated. So it's worth finding out where the boss's strengths lie. This is the result - and not with certainly also existing weaknesses - success.
- Good preparation is half the battle: Time deficit characterizes the situation of many superiors. It is therefore all the more important not to waste it. Only effective preparation can lead to effective discussions.
- No surprises! If a problem arose, the boss must be informed. Suppliers who do not track or customers who do not pay - the supervisor should learn it early so that he can decide whether to intervene or not.
- Supervisors are not clairvoyants: They depend on the information of their employees and they have the duty to provide them. This applies both to material aspects and to personal interests which influence the employment relationship. Even in the age of communication is not always obvious. A flood of information is sent back and forth, but not necessarily a cycle is closed. Regular feedback to the supervisor makes the status quo of ongoing work or projects visible to both sides.
- Chef remains boss: It is up to the employees to change from the role of the executive to the thinking employee. Professional competency and creative creativity also impress the most persevering boss.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).