Networking: Main professional
So you should present yourself in such networks with a professional profile. This should ideally be public so that the prospective employer can find one quickly and easily.
The profile includes a decent application photo, as complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae as possible, as well as information about contact details. Of course, the latter should never appear on a public profile, but should only be released to confidential contacts or groups of people.
Make and maintain contacts
In principle, special business networks are best suited for the organization and maintenance of business contacts. In other social media networks, which are also used for private communication, caution is advised. If you link here with business contacts, the administration is recommended by friend lists.
So you can provide a certain "circle of friends" with special rights or limit these. This includes access to private photos. Also, various pin board contributions can only be released for certain circles of friends, for example, if an event is not intended for the eyes of former colleagues or distant acquaintances.
At the latest for the job interview you should prepare yourself by referring to the respective Company informed. Ideally, this is done before sending your own application documents. After all, not only the job advertisement but also the corporate culture should suit the candidate.
The first point of contact to gather information is the homepage of the company. Social networks can also help to gain a comprehensive picture of corporate culture and job opportunities. Assessment portals, in which employees assess their employer in various categories, also provide an authentic insight into the company.
Are found instead of applying
But also online job portals - especially special job boards - offer for this type of job search quite useful function, namely the so-called applicant or CV databases.
There you can create as a job seeker a generally free profile, then to get from the company job requests. Especially in the areas of computer science, engineering and the natural sciences, the firms are dependent on the skilled labor force to find themselves actively looking for qualified applicants.
Profile in Resume Database
Your own profile in a CV database, as we offer it at Absolventa.de, for example, can be applied to study your own job opportunities on the market. Especially towards the end of the studies, CVs are a welcome addition to the active application process.
After all, you only apply your profile once and receive job requests directly via eMail, Incidentally, this does not just apply to full-time jobs. For example, we also offer internships, work placement jobs and trainee positions. Another advantage: the CV profiles are not public. This enables jobseekers to be found in social networks even without the public presence.
Pay attention to human resources and headhunters in the network - 10 tips
Personnel, bosses and headhunters are increasingly using the Internet to check applicants' details. A study by the job board Carreerbuilder shows that already 22 percent of employers use virtual networks for the reputation check, 9 more percent have this at least before. It is particularly interesting for applicants, what information the recruiters on the Internet looking for them:
- 41 percent of recruiters want to know if the employee is consuming alcohol or drugs, almost as many, namely 40 percent, are looking for discrediting photos in the profiles.
- After all, 29 percent appreciate the communication skills. But also the specified qualifications, a possible criminal past or bad slander over the last employer are checked online.
- Search in Google: For these control trips to the network, in the professional term profiling, employers today have numerous tools available: This is first the search engine Google, with the long forgotten entries in forums or ancient blog comments can still be tracked - and that can be quite be embarrassing.
- Beware of private information: It is even more uncomfortable, however, when potential employers encounter private profiles in online networks such as Facebook or Wer-kenn-Wen: In addition to unpleasant photos, status messages, guestbook entries, pin board comments or group affiliation can provide more information about the person give as one is dear.
- Attention to privacy: particularly precarious: even data that you do not make public, but only releases his friends, are not sure of discovery. The numerous platforms are by no means protected against hacker attacks.
- Precarious photos: This was demonstrated by the Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology in a study. With the help of the image search engine Polar Rose, the researchers even came to photos that were not released by their owners.
- However, the biggest problem for many applicants is the fact that the old data is simply kept on the net. Even those who delete their profile on online networks have not yet eliminated all forum entries. In archives like Wayback experienced and even ancient data can be found.
- And the more hits a search engine has on a particular issue, the more people claim the same thing - the truer it will seem to the viewer. By the way, a mechanism that is used by people who want to slander others on the Internet.
- So if you do not want to lose your reputation on the Internet, you have two options: complete online abstinence - or the targeted development of a positive online reputation, which even supports the job search.
- The Careeerbuilder survey also shows that 24 percent of human resource managers also found information in the profiles that convinced them and hired them. So it's worthwhile to actively move around the internet.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).