Before job search on the World Wide Web you should ask yourself a basic question: What do I want? Depending on what you are looking for, you can make the stalking after the appropriate job efficiently. And that is very purposeful, without the orientation and the motivation to lose.
Helpful when looking for the right job is first a fairly simple method. Thus a simple list with the requirements for the own activity and the future employer serves as a good basis for the job search on the net.
Find out your own strengths and weaknesses
However, it is difficult for many graduates to make clear statements about their own strengths and weaknesses. Questions that should be asked in the course of this are, for example:
- What are my strengths?
- What do I enjoy?
- What do I want to learn?
- In which area do I want to work and develop?
- Do I want a lot of responsibility right from the start or just "get in"?
- Do I want to work in a corporation or a smaller company?
- What is the most important to me: mission, company culture or salary?
Headache any job?
Especially in areas where the economy does not have an acute professional deficit, the fear of the graduate students increases with the approach of the degree. This encourages the young academics to be grateful for almost every job that can be found.
"First of all, make money first." But should the entry-level job not promise more than just a first own salary? Of course he should. After all, he lays the groundwork for what comes next.
Find out before graduation: "What do I want?"
So that the first job is not merely an emergency solution, one should already find before the conclusion in which direction one wants to orientate oneself
- Do you want to pursue an academic career or go into the free economy?
- Would you like to work abroad?
- What are areas of activity in which one feels comfortable?
Focus the studies on the profession
To find out, internships that are already completed during your studies are suitable. Here is a first impression of how the professional world works and what it means to work in the chosen area. This can be done in the following ways:
- Specialization in the Master
- Involvement in clubs
- the cooperation in the Unimedien
- participation in research groups
- the exercise of a corresponding secondary activity
Based on this experience, you can then draw your conclusions and, if necessary, even focus further studies on the career choice. In this way you learn not only the professional language, but also connect interesting and sometimes important contacts to the respective industry.
Structured digital application - 10 tips
And then it's time to get down to business, namely the structured one application, After all, two-thirds of companies in Germany prefer online applications per eMail, The change of media has obviously taken place, eMailApplications have replaced the classic application folder.
But what should be considered? Which rules apply to a professional online application? The ten most important tips around the topic:
- Pay attention to the highest care! Spelling mistakes always signify the end - earlier in a postal application just as today in an online application.
- Use a serious eMailAddress as sender! Addresses like Mausi1983 [at] gmx.de are in any case counterproductive. Better is: firstname.lastname [at] gmx.de.
- Give a clear subject! In the subject line of yours eMail include: the advertised position, the location and if possible the code number from the job advertisement. This way, the HR specialist can more easily allocate your application.
- Pay attention to the size of the attachment! The eMailAttachment of an online application should not be larger than three MB. In case of doubt, do not use a reference letter and hand it in instead if necessary.
- Send only one file as an attachment! Save all application components in pdf format in one file. Multiple files make it difficult for staff to do their work.
- Write the cover letter directly in the eMail-Window! Do not attach it to yours as a separate file eMail, Background: Personnel prefer - as mentioned - only a single file.
- Use a professional application photo. The online medium seduces you to use digital snapshots. Not correct! Your application photo should always be taken by a professional photographer.
- Pay attention to an individual cover letter! Do not send standardized cover letters after copy paste. Experienced personnel recognize this immediately.
- Always research the personal eMailAddress of the responsible personnel. If this does not appear in the job ad, call the company. eMails at collective addresses like info @ or bewerbung @ often do not reach the right person.
- Find out about the company on the Internet - for example on the company website.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).