Job search from 50 - a problem?
Applications from employees via 50 are considered problematic. At the same time, companies and colleagues could really benefit greatly from the experience of 50-year-olds. If there were not the scramble for competence, different ways of thinking and communicative misunderstandings, which lead to big problems in daily life together.
Unfortunately, many employers from 50 are rather suspicious, because they are considered critical and demanding - in terms of content as well as financially. A study shows: Overall, 50 percent of 45-50You feel at work massively harassed by noise of all kinds.
Older Vs. young worker
The research institute IPSOS surveyed more than 2400 workers in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Great Britain and the Netherlands from four generations on their preferences and working habits for a study.
Result: 61 percent of the older employees around the 60 are more traditionalists, attaching importance to clear hierarchies and a personal, clearly defined work space.
The young colleagues up to 35, on the other hand, prefer flat hierarchies and do not value their own workplace: they work informally and in different places. Only 27 percent from this age group wants a personal desk.
Discrepancies through communicative misunderstandings
In addition to these different attitudes, communicative misunderstandings often lead to discrepancies: Older colleagues, for example, are often less exuberant than younger ones and are therefore often perceived by them as less friendly.
They have a rather vague image in the sense of "less friendly or cooperative" and "less ambitious". And they are considered authoritarian, but also exemplary and experienced. They pass on their know-how to the others.
On the other hand, competitive thinking is particularly pronounced among the younger generation: In the case of older colleagues, they are shunned as ambitious and opportunistic, and in times of crisis, this behavior further aggravates the fear for the workplace.
This creates problems when looking for a job
Due to such differences, each age group likes to keep its own in nurturing social contacts, and these same problems are manifested in the job search:
Basically, each generation is more likely to compete with younger generations than older generations, but at the same time believes it can not learn from the younger generation. In contrast, the age group to 45 is perceived as particularly friendly, cooperative and efficient in the eyes of the other age groups.
Take courage and stay active
The older workers should therefore look for job and Casting fully rely on their wealth of experience, take courage, stay active and can not be beaten down. I am thinking of a former neighbor of mine, who with 58 years changed not only the job, but also the place.
When she suddenly became unemployed, she decided to start again - in Berlin. Reason: The rich cultural offer at comparatively low prices.
Voluntary commitment and social contacts
Not everyone has this courage to change, especially at this age. Often, people prefer to stay in the ugly situation instead of daring to do something new. Hence my respect for this courage - which, by the way, paid off:
The New Berliner volunteered, made contacts and suddenly found a new job: first in the anteroom of a well-known politician, then as the secretary of an organization. The position is permanent.
Get out of the old rut
It may be that coincidence and luck play a role here, but I think that it is above all the courage to change as well as activity and the joy of contact that pays off. Because a change of location, I know from my own experience, always forces you to deal with a new situation and meet new people.
As a result, one is forced much more sociable and open, as if you always remain in the usual rut. And this suddenly gives rise to many new opportunities that you did not even think about before.
In addition, older workers should do their part in finding a job by bridging possible gaps: for example, by dealing with possible problems openly and by talking to bosses and colleagues in case of conflict.
Because often the problems are simply due to the fact that one simply does not understand the other, or can not empathize with the colleagues. But those who talk openly about fears and problems have the chance to solve them as well.
10 tips on applying for and looking for a job starting with 50
Finding a job and applying for 50 is not easy, and sometimes employees of different generations sometimes have trouble understanding each other. 10 tips on what matters.
- Do not rush ahead: You have experience, are energetic and ambitious? Nice way! But even if you think you know something better, be diplomatic.
- Beware with criticism: Even if it's well-intentioned: be careful with criticism, never express it in front of others. Chefs and many younger employees are reluctant to say anything.
- Attention to new work culture: Older employees value their work environment and the polite and respectful "you". In addition, you love routine, that gives them security. The new work culture, especially in StartUps, is therefore suspect. Tip: Get used to it gradually.
- Score with experience: Something that you have many younger employees ahead of you: your experience. With this you should score points in job search and application.
- Just no arrogance: Some older employees seem arrogant towards younger ones because they believe they have all the experience to themselves. Better check if you can not learn from others.
- Be curious about new things: Instead of just insisting on what they have always done, be prepared to learn something new.
- Praise! Especially older generations often have a hard time with praise. Just jump over your shadow and say a few friendly words to the younger employee. For those such gestures are self-evident.
- Learn from each other: Older employees have more experience, while younger people are better acquainted with the latest developments. Benefit from each other instead of working against each other
- Ask for help: Show that you are ready to cooperate with the other and ask for help - showing that you value the expertise of your colleague.
- Understand fears: Older employees are often afraid that younger people wanted to serve them. Younger employees are annoyed about the protection against dismissal, the older often enjoy. Both are afraid for the job behind it. Open fears openly and trust that the other person will do the same. Then you have a good chance to overcome conflicts together.
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).