Priorities like Eisenhower
I just have it Priorities: set: I've considered the flexible costs, which activities are important to me.
These are, for example, the ones that I enjoy a lot. And then I also analyzed which of my leisure activities are less important, for example because they are less fun.
Save like Eisenhower
The method comes from the time management and will Eisenhower Principle: (named after US General Dwight Eisenhower). Eisenhower originally divided his responsibilities as "important / not important" and "urgent / non-urgent". Otherwise, this simple technique helps to set priorities, especially in everyday working life.
The Eisenhower principle can also be easily transferred to your free time to save money! It also helps you to set your priorities relatively quickly.
The Eisenhower window
How to apply it:
- Take a sheet and divide it into four boxes. Number them from right to left and in the upper row starting with A, B, C and D. In doing so, size the fields sufficiently large so that you can enter all your activities.
- Now take a look at all the leisure activities that you have entered under "flexible costs" in your Excel spreadsheet. Transfer these costs to the fields in the Eisenhower schema.
- The top two fields are for recreational activities that will give you a lot of fun (like eating with friends).
- In Field A: Enter all fun activities that are at the same time inexpensive.
- In Field B: Enter those fun-filled activities that cost a lot of money, such as a family visit to the theme park.
- The lower two fields, however, take up those activities that are not very fun. Even though it may look amazing at first glance, you may spend your leisure time doing things that are not very pleasurable for habit or other reasons.
- In Field C: Enter those activities that cost little, but also give you little pleasure - z. For example, if you are shopping while always looking for cheap bargains save money, but are completely stressed out.
- Field D: Finally, it contains those activities with a low fun factor that are also expensive at the same time. Maybe you pay for the gym month after month but never go out?
How does the prioritization method of the Eisenhower window now work? Here is an overview:
Field A and B
- At the activities in Field A: I do not need to change anything, because these activities do not cost much. What stands here can remain as it is. Maybe these activities can be extended even further?
- Field B: on the other hand, there is a personal "problem area": I like to do these leisure activities, but they also cost the most money. Here I have to find alternatives. For example, I could organize trips instead of going to the amusement park. Or visit the amusement park on my birthday - many amusement parks, some swimming pools and many other facilities grant birthday children discount or even free entry ...
- An overview of such birthday discounts can be found online, eg on gebura.de
Field C and D
- Activities in Field C: do not cost money, but time. Here I had to think about whether I really wanted to waste my time. However, this will have less effect on my purse.
- And - you hardly believe it - in Field D: In fact, I've found activities that are expensive and I do not even enjoy them: it was the gym for me. Of course, sport is important. But originally I signed up because everyone else was going too. And then realized that I just do not enjoy it there and therefore I never go. Instead of putting the money in the gym, I started to organize my regular sports lessons myself and wanted jogging, walking, inline skating or cycling with like-minded people for mutual motivation.Speaking of which ... And also the Health Insurance: finances regular sports: For special prevention sports certain health insurance companies finance up to 90% of the course fee. Some health insurances also partially cover the costs for the gym. Also for the sports badge or membership in the club you can get something at some cash registers. Just ask - and possibly change the box office.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).