Instead of dominance and submission: the eye-level status
That is why I have developed the high-level status, in addition to the high and low status used in the improvisatory theater: Status status beyond dominance or submission.
Do you know people who seem to build relationships effortlessly? Who assert themselves without trampling on each other? These individuals, who have some sort of natural authority and are very pleasant conversation partners, strive for a status relationship that I call eye-level status.
On the same wavelength
Think of a really good conversation with a friend: Everybody talks in turns, laughs together, is "on the same wavelength", no one determines the other, no one has to submit, both feel well - that's the standard for a talk at eye level status. In other words, in every conversation that you will be conducting from now on, pay close attention to how this feeling sets in.
Now, of course, you do not have the same cordial relationship to the best friend or best friend to each conversation partner. And yet the goal is to experience this quality in the best possible way - in the best possible situation and to the context in which you meet.
What is the status of the eye?
The following prerequisites apply for the application of eye level status:
- You know who you are, where you stand and what you want.
- They know in which status area you feel comfortable.
- They walk relaxed and relaxed with themselves and others.
- They have developed a flair for the situation and for what status behavior is currently appropriate.
- They show unconditional respect, both to yourself and to your conversation partner.
- You are carefree and of course with status - you feel like playing with the status without taking yourself too seriously.
- They understand the high status as a way to lead and the low status as a possibility to follow and are not afraid to use the whole status palette - high status and low status.
- You are ready, both the Guide to take over without overwhelming the other with dominance, as well as relax the other to leave the leadership, without completely submitting.
Keep the status differences as low as possible
In the case of communication on the level of the eye, it is important to keep the status difference to the conversation partner as low as possible so that alternating leads and sequences are possible at all.
Because the status of two people is never the same, there is always someone who leads - as in the dance to the second: one goes before, the other has to go back and then the other way round. And when this common "dance" comes right into the river, then the conversation is characterized by lightness and both partners come together.
Now it would be important to figure out how to use this type of communication for your self-assertion.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).