Chief role in change
Rolling definitions are subject to historical changes. With a traditional core (conventions), time-phenomena flow into them. This keeps them mobile.
They reflect values and norms and provide information about what is necessary and important, as well as desirable and undesirable.
Leadership as a teamwork
Also, leadership roles are such a kind of community work. The current movement in the role and function determination mainly have the following effect:
Professionals of diverse backgrounds (eg psychologists, educators, organizational and working sociologists), corporate members who more or less change role definitions through their socio-cultural character, their preferences, aversions and demands, and thirdly, views on the conditions for successful corporate governance.
Is there an ideal boss?
The question cited with the dreadful grammar can therefore only be answered with a “depends on it”. As a rule, however, it is pretended that the answer is clear once and for all. This is based on the assumption that there is an “ideal” boss.
This means that regardless of context factors such as personal and social factors, qualities of the employees and the order, the following applies: The boss, who follows certain rules, is a good boss, for every employee. This is, of course, naive.
10 bids for the ideal boss?
In ten “rules” Daniel Rettig declares what “good”, even “brilliant” managers can (should). The rules show the historical dimension of the role definition and the zeitgeist factor based on assumed expectations on the employee side.
In addition, the rule formulations give a nice example of where psychology works in the background, how they can be hidden and how much psychological knowledge can be simplified.
Suggestive effect on the reader
The fleeting reader rarely escapes the suggestive effect, which should lead to an affirmative nod by the reader. Don't be put off by the clumsy "you" in the imperatives - psychologically it should help to feel addressed.
So these are the things a good boss should ideally be able to do. Since this is quite critical, I have now looked at these 10 bids for bosses a little closer and more critical.
Chefs are still needed
It is quite clear: despite Web 2.0 bosses are still needed. Networking options and supposedly mature employees emphasize in practice the need for line functions (management) and management trades.
So far, even under the label of “postheroic management”, this has been questioned rather rhetorically and provocatively. The leading goals in leadership are maturity and independence, personal responsibility and self-regulation.
New role pictures for bosses?
Within this radius of the course are several years, such as leader, moderator, process supervisor, mentor, coach and change manager. In the meantime, the role of psychologizing psychologists is growing.
This places the personality and its development in the center. Leaders therefore need to open additional roll facets. But these role models should by no means be adopted uncritically, but considered more closely. Therefore, I want to tell you something about the 10 bids for bosses - what exactly is this?
The 10 bids for bosses aufgedröselt
- "You should be a role model!" This includes loud Article "Authenticity" and self-reflection. Exemplary and authentic managers are “aware of their own strengths and weaknesses”, “are open to positive and negative information”, act “according to their values and ideas” and are “honest with others”.
- “You should let employees have a say!” This appeal to voice is aimed at the “feeling” of employees “that their opinion counts when making important decisions - especially if they have an immediate impact on their everyday work.”
- "You should grant freedom!" This is about the “sovereignty” of “bosses”, giving employees options to “develop” personality and “creativity” in a climate of “trust”.
- “You should set goals for employees!” Goals are a prerequisite for the possibility of meaningfulness, success experiences, planned action, orientation as well as help “to arrange the daily priorities better and to become more productive”. For this purpose, “goals both individually and collectively” should be set “in order to increase engagement and team spirit”.
- "You should be a coach!" Because “feedback plays a crucial role so that employees stay productive”. In short: "People make more efforts when they expect quick feedback."
- “You should value performance!” This call is aimed at public recognition such as awards. In order to spur them on, awarding and selection criteria should be “transparent and justifiable” for all members of the company.
- "You should allow mistakes!" Mistakes as an opportunity - for learning, for commitment, for experimentation, for competence growth and for an open, constructive culture of mistakes. Mistakes can be made - only not the same two times.
- "You should be consistent!" We are talking about a consistent, person-independent, reliable and therefore expected repertoire of reactions from the manager, especially when praising and reprimanding. (No nose factor!)
- "You should listen!" Listening should follow the “active listening” mode, which includes, among other things, “observing your counterpart attentively, letting them finish and asking open W questions (who, how, what, when) and understanding your counterpart signal. Only then does the person concerned feel taken seriously. ”
- "You should endure the truth!" In order to avoid possible hubris (“self-confidence turns into overconfidence and arrogance”), “good” and “brilliant” managers collect critical feedback and deal with “the truth” “confidently” even when it “hurts”.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Buy a book on the topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want more information? There is also a book, including this text, and you can purchase the book title here directly in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then buy directly on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960206
English version: ISBN 9783965960213 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).