Chief role in change
Rolling definitions are subject to historical changes. With a traditional core (conventions), time-phenomena flow into them. This keeps them mobile.
They reflect values and norms and provide information about what is necessary and important, as well as desirable and undesirable.
Leadership as a teamwork
Also, leadership roles are such a kind of community work. The current movement in the role and function determination mainly have the following effect:
Professionals of diverse backgrounds (eg psychologists, educators, organizational and working sociologists), corporate members who more or less change role definitions through their socio-cultural character, their preferences, aversions and demands, and thirdly, views on the conditions for successful corporate governance.
Is there the ideal one? Chef?
The quoted question with the awkward grammar can only be answered with a "Depends on it". In general, however, it is pretended that the answer is clear once and for all. Behind this is the assumption that there is an "ideal" boss.
This means that regardless of context factors such as personal and social factors, qualities of the employees and the order, the following applies: The boss, who follows certain rules, is a good boss, for every employee. This is, of course, naive.
10 bids for the ideal boss?
In ten "rules" declined Daniel Rettig, what "good", even "brilliant" managers can (should). The rules show the historical dimension of the role definition as well as the Zeitgeist factor based on assumed expectations on the employee side.
In addition, the rule formulations give a nice example of where psychology works in the background, how they can be hidden and how much psychological knowledge can be simplified.
Suggestive effect on the reader
The evocative effect, which is supposed to lead to an affirmative nod at the reader, is rarely eluded by the casual reader. Do not be deterred by the clumsy "you" with the imperatives - psychologically, it should help to feel addressed.
So these are the things a good boss should ideally be able to do. Since this is quite critical, I have now looked at these 10 bids for bosses a little closer and more critical.
Chefs are still needed
It is quite clear: despite Web 2.0 bosses are still needed. Networking options and supposedly mature employees emphasize in practice the need for line functions (management) and management trades.
Even under the label of "postheroic management", this has been called into question more rhetorically and provocatively. The guiding goals in employee leadership are maturity, self-reliance, personal responsibility and self-management.
New role pictures for bosses?
Within this radius of the course are several years, such as leader, moderator, process supervisor, mentor, coach and change manager. In the meantime, the role of psychologizing psychologists is growing.
This places the personality and its development in the center. Leaders therefore need to open additional roll facets. But these role models should by no means be adopted uncritically, but considered more closely. Therefore, I want to tell you something about the 10 bids for bosses - what exactly is this?
The 10 bids for bosses aufgedröselt
- "You should be a role model!" These include, according to article "authenticity" and self-reflection. Exemplary and authentic managers are "aware of their own strengths and weaknesses", "open to both positive and negative information", "act according to their values and beliefs" and be "honest with others".
- "You should let employees have a say!" This appeal to a voice is directed at the "feeling" of employees, "that their opinion in important decisions counts - especially if they have an immediate impact on their daily work."
- "You should grant liberties!" This is about the "sovereignty" of "bosses", opening up options to employees, "developing" personality and "creativity" in a climate of "trust".
- "You should set goals for employees!" Goals are considered a condition for the possibility of meaningfulness, sense of achievement, purposeful action, orientation and help to "better organize the daily priorities and become more productive". To do so, "goals should be set both individually and collectively" to "increase commitment and team spirit".
- "You should be a coach!" Because "Feedback plays a crucial role in keeping employees productive". In short: "People are more concerned when they expect quick feedback."
- "You should value achievement!" This call aims for public recognition such as awards. In order for it to inspire, awarding and selection criteria for all members of the company should be "transparent and justifiable".
- "You should allow mistakes!" Errors as an opportunity - for learning, for commitment, for experimentation, for competence growth and for an open, constructive error culture. Errors may be made - but not the same two times.
- "You should be consistent!" This is a consistent, person-independent, a reliable and therefore expectable repertoire of reactions of the manager, especially when praising and rebuking. (No nose factor!)
- "You should listen!" The listening should be in the mode of "active listening", which includes, among other things, "attentively observing one's opponent, allowing one to finish off and open W-questions (who, how, what, when) and to signal understanding to one's counterpart. Only then does the affected person feel taken seriously. "
- "You have to endure the truth!" In order to avoid possible hubris ("self-confidence becomes overconfidence and arrogance"), "good" and "brilliant" managers get critical feedback and then deal with "the truth" "confidently" if she "hurts".
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).