Candidate Journey: today a must
Anyone who interacts with companies as an applicant is annoyed: about the Active Sourcing spam factor, the lack of user-friendliness of a website, the non-mobile application form, ancient job descriptions, faked facts, endless response times, standard interviews, disrespectful behavior, broken promises and much more.
This is due to outdated procedures from the past, methodological hearing, inappropriate arrogance, bureaucratization and a lack of candidate orientation. You indulge in processes that are practical for the company but corrosive to the candidates. Even the most promising people do not feel like recruited, but often enough like petitioners.
That is fatal. Because, like on a real trip, you also want to talk about your journey through the recruiting landscape. And that leaves traces: in the minds and hearts of people - and mostly on the Web. Such reports greatly influence the preliminary decisions of new applicants. Many employers are already falling through the grate before they even get to know each other for the first time.
How to Develop Candidate Journeys in 7 Steps
A Candidate Journey represents the prototypical "journey" of a job seeker through the in-house application process. It is viewed from the point of view of the applicant. Modern companies deal with every single interaction point, the touchpoints of a candidate journey, and strive to make what happens there as appealing as possible to the applicants. Candidate Journeys are developed in seven steps:
- Step 1: First, determine which scenario you want to examine for which applicant type. For example: A university graduate applies for his first job. It is best to define a prototypical persona in order to get a better picture of the aspirants.
- Step 2: Identify all interaction points that might play a role in this scenario. Assign the relevant touchpoints to the individual phases in the application process. Obertouchpoints such as the company's career side can be subdivided into subpoints and thus be looked at in greater detail.
- Step 3: Illustrate, as far as possible and legally permitted, what happens at the individual touchpoints, as in a travelogue: through videos, photos, episodic events or speech bubble statements. It is about both the process and the relationship level.
- Step 4: Then analyze what is happening to the individual touchpoints from the point of view of the job seekers: What is disappointing? (= What we must not do). What is okay? (= Our minimum standard, the zero line of satisfaction). What is / would be inspiring? (= What we can do at best). Analyze the public feedback about you as an employer.
- Step 5: Afterwards, work together with staff members who represent the respective applicant group, what needs to be done to improve the applicant experience at each point, to make it smoother and easier. Fill in points that are missing so far and delete everything that is annoying, obsolete and old-fashioned from the perspective of the applicant.
- Step 6: Implement the adopted activities as soon as possible. Favor the quick wins, that is, measures that achieve quick success. In the aftermath of an action, the procedure is then probed again. Enthusiasm always means: expectation plus x. Expectations are fueled by the level of sophistication, other positive or negative experiences, and the promises of the advertising company.
- Step 7: Monitor your successes. Define suitable key figures for this purpose. It is usually a fitting mix of multiple touchpoints that are responsible for a commitment. In addition one should determine, which point in advance of a Casting the rash was. This is done by interviewing the candidate as follows: "How did you first come to know us?"
Why Candidate Personas are increasingly important
Although each candidate trip can be approximately the same main stations, in detail, the way to contract signing is different for each candidate. Also, the expectations that a talent has on the recruiting process can differ depending on the situation. Therefore, developing Candidate Personas and presenting their prototype Candidate Journey can be extremely effective.
Candidate personas (correctly personae) are fictitious substitutes of an applicant group, which combine their characteristic qualities, expectations and procedures. They replace the anonymous target group melee with a human form in which one can think well.
What makes Personas
Personas include both professional and personal components. They are usually given a first name, a face, their knowledge, a prototypical career and a private life. They have goals, values, views and prototypical behaviors, interests, ideas, reservations, fears and fears.
Such emotionally-based humanization ensures that applicants not only fit in with the job, but also with their corporate culture. Both together is increasingly important.
How to create prototypical candidate personas
Personas are developed by questioning the appropriate employees in the company or suitable talents from outside, using their healthy understanding of the people and researching them. A workshop in which, like the profilers with a detective flair, you are able to create a personas personas, it is fun to experience the many benefits.
Their "profiles" are ideally pinned to the office wall or cardboard figures to be able to communicate with almost real people. In this way it is also supported that everyone has the same image of a target person in mind when working on recruiting projects, formulating coherent texts or selecting channels for the candidate approach.
Together, one can ask oneself what the persona thinks about something and how she feels on her journey through the corporate landscape at the individual touchpoints. In addition, Personas help, for example day Employees who have only indirectly to do with applicants, to see the person behind the file number, to act more individually and to hit the "nerve" of the corresponding target persons.
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).