Marie Kondo meets the nerve of the time
No doubt: the Japanese lifestyle expert Marie Kondo, of the ZEIT Also often referred to as cleanup celebrity, has hit the nerve of the time with their Konmarie method. Purism, preferably empty, bright rooms are very popular and are regarded as a sign of prosperity and education.
It is not helpful to sort the same amount of things over and over again: if you really want to create order, you should have as few things as possible. But that is easier said than done. Deflitting can also be hard work, also emotionally. And Marie Kondo's method is really radical.
A radical life relief
I am speaking from my own experience: I have separated myself from the majority of my books in recent years by several moves. I feel now really relieved.
In doing so, I realized: Consistent “bouncers” who can quickly separate themselves from superfluous things, it is generally easier. And another unbeatable advantage: Rooms that are tidied clean up faster - not only when spring cleaning is imminent.
What tidying up fails
A typical situation with it: The Aufjäumfieber breaks out and full of enthusiasm you go with the sorting. Despite good intentions, however, one repeatedly falls into the same trap: frustration and abandonment, because things do not go as planned.
For first, the first minutes of cleansing seem promising and the chaos seems to be clearing up. Then, however, you stick to individual things, sorts them after long hesitation roughly, but you can ultimately not decide for disposal. Often also a call comes in between or the pleasure lets go again. The sad result: everything is pushed together again and the chaos is bigger than before.
10 concrete cleanup tips
Only to keep what makes you happy, sounds good. In reality, however, we often face different constraints. Therefore, 10 More Concrete Cleanup Tips:
- Set goals: Each clean-up action should begin with specific goals. How should your home look like? Develop an idea, a vision, as concrete and realistic as possible. An inventory and the appropriate clean-up strategy are decisive for the successful removal action.
- The right strategy: Think critically: What was I really going to take away for a long time? What do I really need? Just look around in your four walls at first, but immediately and without compromise, you will be disconnected from things in which you see no other benefits.
- Be brave! Objections like "Maybe I can use it again someday" no longer count. Another prerequisite for successful mucking out: the right tactics. The so-called "jerk-jerk action" is concentrated, but has the advantage that it is sorted out in one go. The alternative: muck out something every now and then, need more time. But be careful - in this case you have to stay on the ball.
- Things to let go: Separate the important from the unimportant. However, if you can't decide to throw something away, just lay out a “flea market box” that you can store later in the store or basement. All things come in here that are no longer needed but are not yet ready for the trash.
- One after another: Who wants to clear out, should always follow the order. And that means: you start with the unimportant, the utensils without emotional value, such as dishes, and slowly work your way to the more emotional objects. And then, for example, it has to be decided: Are the old letters really still important for the feeling of happiness?
- First sort, then decide: First is sorted. Later, you can still decide if you want to donate, donate or sell for small money for charity purposes. Objects, which are no good, come directly into the bin. Dispose of unnecessary household items and bulky waste at the material yard. If you do not want to drive yourself to the bulky waste, the old card can also be collected. Be active, take immediate care, arrange an appointment. Do not push your project back to an uncertain future date.
- One reason why we are struggling with clearing out: For some things, we have paid really money or think we could use you somehow. That is why we want to sell them at least.
- Resell: Sell worn clothing in the second hand shop, at the flea market or use internet marketplaces. You can sell used books, CDs and much more by means of an online auction. Often, however, the effort is not worthwhile.
- Where to go with the rest? If selling is too much for you, then simply advertise in free advertising sheets that you have to give flea market boxes or furniture for collection. Ask friends and acquaintances if they can be used for certain things. Apart from that, facilities such as Caritas or youth centers are also well-liked for furniture. Hospitals and kindergartens like toys and stuffed animals. Books, in particular, are hollowed out like boxes.
- treasures: Then there are also treasures that simply contain too many memories to be able to separate from one another overnight. Pack things of importance in labeled boxes and first store them in the basement. As soon as you feel like “indulging in old memories”, you can go back to the old stuff. So for the time being, they have not finally separated, but they have provided more space in the living area.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Buy a book on the topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want more information? There is also a book, including this text, and you can purchase the book title here directly in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then buy directly on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965961234
English version: ISBN 9783965961593 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).