Recruiting is carved in stone
If there is a vacant position to fill, the procedure is in most Company As if carved in stone: advertisements are being placed, applications are coming in - and then a series of personal conversations are being held.
The catch on the thing: The interview is proven to be the weakest instrument in the staff selection! Nevertheless, there is still as good as no aspirant without a job interview on his new post. Learn how to structure your discussions ideally and which questions you should ask in order to achieve a good degree of standardization and comparability.
Structure instead of abdominal feeling
There are eight important rules that have to be observed when carrying out a professional interview. Like rule number 2, "Structure"? This was: “A key help is a clean structure. Providing (provided we stick to it), it is of great help in not allowing extreme differences in the way interviews are conducted. ”
Easier said than done, because man is now a habit bull and tends to decide from the belly. So I would now like to introduce you to a basic guide that contains precisely formulated questions that you can ask in your interview applicants.
No.1: Start of conversation
Most applicants will be more or less nervous at the beginning. In order to solve the tension somewhat, you should make a contact phase: So welcome the applicant, present the present conversation partners and explain how the interview will be about. Before you begin with your specific questions, you can also ask the applicant to tell him something about himself, his CV or his professional development so far. Small tip: Make sure you take notes! Perhaps you will notice an aspect that you would like to deepen later by specific questions.
No. 2: Personal situation of applicant
Ask the applicant to briefly describe his / her life and education / career path. Here are the following questions:
- What had the biggest impact on your career choice?
- Did you complete internships? In which companies and on whose initiative?
- What professional activities did you pursue so far after your training?
- Tasks and tasks
- Responsibilities, competences
- Length of activity
- Special tasks
- Training activities
- Who or what had the greatest impact on your professional development?
- What did you learn during the individual stages of your professional life that you still benefit from today?
- If you could, what would you do differently today?
No.3: Current Position / New Position
Now it goes to the Eingemachte: Why has the potential new coworker applied for the job advertised? Does it fit into the past job or do you want to face new challenges? With these questions, you will find out:
- Please describe a typical day sequence in your last position.
- What will you miss about your job at your current employer?
- Why do you want to change now?
- What did you read out of our ad, and what do you expect from the job?
- What are your goals for your new position?
No. 4: Personal
Of course, in a job interview, we can not make a complete picture of the person who opposes us. With some specific questions, however, you can already find a lot and check whether the candidate fits into the team and is suitable for the vacancy. The following questions are ideal:
- If you had to describe yourself to someone who does not know you, how and with what terms would you describe yourself?
- What are your strengths compared to others?
- How do you come to this impression, in which working situations did this show itself?
- Do you call personal optimization areas, areas in which you still want to work on yourself, want to improve yourself?
No. 5: Work behavior
In addition to the current task area, it is of course crucial to get a picture of the candidate's work behavior. In many cases, a day for trial work is agreed upon - but if you ask the right questions, you will get a good impression of the applicant's resilience, his diligence and his usual way of working.
- Were there situations in which you had to make decisions that had a great impact on you personally?
- Please describe your approach in the case of tasks to be dealt with in writing?
- What routine work is there in your current job and how do you deal with it?
- What is important to you about your work environment?
- How would you describe your work style?
- If there are work-related problems, work-related bottlenecks in your job, what are the reasons for this?
No. 6: Performance
Highly motivated, committed and always ready to bring 100% performance: this is how the dream employee of every employer looks. Especially when you are engaged in a stressful business, it is crucial for you to tap the candidates' willingness to perform in the job interview. The following questions will help you:
- Which situations are stressful for you?
- What do you do to relax?
- What motivates you to bring performance?
- What are your personal goals for the current year?
- What do you do to achieve these goals?
- What are your career plans in the short, medium and long term?
No. 7: Information about the candidate, company, task and position
After the candidate has given you a comprehensive impression of his person, it's your turn to inform him about your company and the position to be filled. Attention: Please never before, because you pass on a lot of crucial information from which experienced candidates can read very well what you would like to hear!
No. 8: End of call
Not only do you have enough time for the job interview, but you also plan the end of the interview and the farewell in advance:
- Please check if all questions are correct.
- Conclude the conversation once again in its essential points.
- Tell the candidate what the next steps in the selection process are and when he / she can expect another / concrete message from you.
- Thank you for the interview and say goodbye.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960107
English version: ISBN 9783965960114 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).