The perfect CV - what is the point of the Casting at?
An aborted law school? From six months backpacking were three years to Australian beaches? Whoever writes a CV is also confronted with the less success-oriented stations of his life.
The formalities in the application are constantly changing: Is a photo still required? Which font should be chosen? What language? Here are ten current monster tips from Dr. Job that puts an end to your headache and helps you to sort out your thoughts. The perfect CV is characterized by a clear structure and carefully selected facts.
Tips for applicants: 10 steps to the shiny CV
- complete: Gaps are not appreciated. Try to put these time sections into a positive light. For example, a stay abroad can be a valuable experience for a new orientation or cultural exchange. In any case, avoid lying lies to fill small gaps.
- Layout: For cover letter and CV you should choose a uniform design, also regarding font and font size. Points can be used with sans serif fonts such as Arial or Calibri. Times New Roman, on the other hand, has gotten older and no longer up-to-date. It is also important that you do not jump back and forth between different layouts. Less is usually more: Imagine, the person is not even taking five minutes to read a CV. Since a proper structure in the direct comparison often makes the difference. Some companies are no longer demanding a photo by the way; then you are left to decide whether to submit one. Please inform yourself about a possible hint in the company webpage. Also, do not forget: a signature with a suitable pen, as well as the place and date to scan and paste into the CV.
- Relevance: Your professional career is the most important and therefore comes first. Start with the most recent station and continue chronologically backwards. You should refrain from giving birth and name changes, as well as the names of your parents, your partner's profession, and your religious affiliation, which is no longer relevant. Oh so, the information about family status or whether you have children, you do not need to specify. These topics can still be explained in a personal interview. Also, whether or not to specify your abitute is nowadays dependent on the position and status of your career. It can not be missed when you start your career, but after ten years of professional experience, you can safely skip the entry. Internships from the school days are then also unnecessary filling material, with which you convince no person.
- Compact: For beginners, the rule of thumb is: 20 percent Personal, 80 percent education. For applicants with professional experience: 10 Percentage Personal, 30 Percentage Training and 60 Percentage of Career. Have you just finished your studies? Then the school runway and topics of the thesis still play a role. After a few years of working life, however, you should focus on your current positions by briefly explaining them. Always keep in mind that the curriculum vitae should not be longer than two pages in the A4 format. Reduce content that does not add value to the company.
- Soft Skills: Soft skills are important features and should not be missing in a full CV. It is important, however, that they are in a meaningful context to the respective place. As an association's board, you may be able to prove a great organization, which is indispensable for a project manager. That you are also a great tenor is perhaps less relevant to the person who is looking for a statistician. An elegant way is the integration of soft skills in the cover letter by assigning the hard facts from the CV to the appropriate soft skills.
- Sports and hobbies: Two to three statements are completely sufficient. Take into account the effect they generate. A preference for "lonely walks", for example, does not close to team spirit. But here the world of consultants is divided - some recommend these private supplements, others advise against. Try to stay authentic. Incidentally, you can always record special strengths under one extra point.
- Additional qualifications: As in the case of the soft skills, the following applies: Select a specific selection of the relevant training measures to match the job you are applying for. As a translator you probably do not have to master five programming languages.
- Short stays: If, due to external circumstances, such as a merger, you were only briefly employed by a company, it is perfectly fine to state that fact. A separation for reasons that are in your person, you can set out as a "temporary employment" or "desire for reorientation".
- In English: Only write your CV in English if this is expressly required by you. Please note that English CVs follow different rules. For example, personal information such as gender, height, weight, family status, or ethnic origin is not desirable in the US.
- The Red Thread: In general, it is good if you have a concrete professional goal in mind and steer your career path on the right track. But even with one or the other branch change, you can produce a positive effect. It is important that you justify this conclusively and underline that you have demonstrated great flexibility and now have a wide range of knowledge and a wealth of experience.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).