Alternatives to the classic job advertisement
It should be clear in the meantime: the classic job advertisement is no longer the only one and maybe not the best way to get the high potentials that you have been hotly contending for in the job market Company to win.
And companies are already looking for new ways. Keywords like social recruiting or active sourcing are often mentioned; but what could be more natural than to meet the applicants in spe long before the application process and to examine them during a teambuilding event like in an early assessment center?
Simple team building in a practical example
To illustrate this, we have begun our discussion with a small teambuilding game: the participants, consisting of both the audience and the audience, should be divided into two groups, carpet flow, exchange seats and comply with certain rules.
The game was led by Jörg Orlowski, CEO of SoS Events, who runs such recruiting events twice a year. It was interesting to see how the participants, who did not know each other before, interacted and communicated with each other. This raises issues such as:
- Who takes the lead in the group and sets the tone?
- Who follows group?
- Who takes the role of the opponent?
It also turns out that such games can be carried out with relatively little effort, with a few carpet flows. The low financial and also time expenditure was also repeatedly subject in the following discussion.
Andrea Bosten, HR specialist with focus on recruiting and personnel marketing at Forschungszentrum Jülich and Mirka Hellemacher, Head of Competence Center for Women and Work, focus on career development in SMEs and recruiting, was part of the Zweckverband Aachen region. I moderated the discussion.
What was the discussion about?
We have discussed the following questions:
- How is the value of such team building measures to be evaluated for the recruiting of a company?
- How exactly do teambuilding events improve the communication between companies and applicants, which information on the company can be better suited to applicants than elsewhere? And what can companies learn better from applicants in reverse?
- One or the other could think, at such events, people want to have fun with students. What conditions do such an event have to fulfill in order for a company to actually benefit from recruiting?
- Team Building Measures Compared with Other Recruiting Tools: Are Teambuilding Measures Better or Less Suitable than Other Recruiting Methods? And dispense companies in terms of time or budget in favor of team building measures?
- Theme talent pools: These are also currently being discussed heavily. This raises the question: Can companies still use the contacts they have made following such events? And how many applications come out on average at such an event?
- How high do companies assess the validity of such an event in terms of assessing applicants? Maybe someone is great in his job, but not for Teambuilding measures ...
We were able to work out the following answers: Teambuilding measures can not replace other recruiting methods, for example the assessment center, but can be useful.
Team building is a great opportunity to get a first impression of applicants. And such measures actually help to attract interns or to build up a pool of potential applicants from which to draw on future recruiting measures.
And: In a digitally networked world, teamwork and even teamwork are in demand from every single person, even among scientists today no one can afford the role of an isolated specialist.
More knowledge - eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).