This entry contains content and information that may be out of date, eg due to legal or statistical changes. Because it can still be helpful to get an overview of the topic, you can still find it here.
Forecasts go into the pants?
The enthusiasm for such trend prognoses is unbroken, especially in the media. After all, the desire to know what is coming tomorrow, as old as mankind, is shamanism in a new way! For the supposed expert prognosis triggers security and releases the desire to think for itself.
This time around, Career Experts.com, a network of coaches and career- and career-development consultants, have compiled the key career trends for 2012 and are evaluating their relevance for next year. Some things are just logical, others are quite general - and again, wishful thinking is because it serves the advice offered by the respective expert. How good the forecasts were, everyone likes to explore for themselves at the end of 2012.
Career Trends 2012?
- Labour market: Existing trends are intensifying. This includes the two-part development of the world of work, with high and still sharply rising salaries on the part of highly qualified professionals and low wages at the other end - especially on the part of the low-skilled, but also less popular academics. More and more, it turns out that a specialist is not the same expert. "Above all, there is a demand for IT and engineering-related personnel who still have methodical knowledge and communicative skills for their content specification," says Lars Hahn.
- selection procedure: The main trend is towards online practices. E-Assessment-Center has been around for a long time, the job interview via Skype was only occasional. This is slowly gaining ground, career experts say. "The webcam is becoming an important tool in the application process, in which Skype and other formats play an increasing role," says career and HR consultant Raoul Wintjes from Berlin, member of the proAct Consulting partner company.
- Casting: 2011 launched the Visualize.me tool, which can be used to display a resume like an infographic. This proved the trend towards the colorful and the more graphic. Some of our experts saw biographies for the first time this year, which in Word were like an infographic. This trend will continue. "Applications will be more informal, fresher and cheekier in 2012 and maybe that's why they will not be better," warns career and HR consultant Raoul Wintjes. "Applications must contain the information that decision makers need." This is only partially possible with infographics. For example, executives should be careful to set out their so-called "track record", ie performance, as far as possible oriented to facts and figures.
- Career: Rare study places by double Abiturjahrgänge and abolition of compulsory military service: "The formerly predetermined steps are 2012 critical, the entry into the study for many subjects fought," said career expert Christoph Burger. The new graduates would be increasingly pressurized by the situation and inflated the urge to action by their claims to themselves on. They said they needed top marks, they should not lose any time in their career entry, they would have to decide for just the right way right after graduation. "The serenity of earlier generations is increasingly lacking today," says Burger. But this serenity is needed to successfully enter the profession. It remains to be seen what developments will lead to this tension in the career choice in the medium term.
- Skills shortage: Companies professionalize their recruiting to meet the shortage. "Because the shrinking of the potential of skilled workers has long since begun", so the career adviser Christoph Burger from Stuttgart. Events such as the "Night of the Companies", the recruitment of Spanish specialists and the increasing discussion on employer branding clearly showed this. However, the recruitment of skilled workers is no longer up to date. "After repeated crises in the job offer, they are not yet confident and wink in the free freedom, like someone who had to spend long in the dark," said Burger. They still do not know how they can use the gained leeway in their own sense. The chance for the employees is that they can be more active in setting their career and life goals and be more self-confident.
- Popular skills: Among other things, 2012 will also be in demand for non-verbal sensitivity as a soft skill, especially in the search for suitable candidates for management positions. "This requires a whole bundle of skills that relate to body language and vocation," says application consultant Carmen Dreyer from Rülzheim near Karlsruhe. On the one hand, the applicant should be able to better assess others on the basis of this knowledge, on the other hand, he should himself be able to send targeted signals. "The social skills are just as important on the wish list for the perfect candidate next year as the expertise required for the position," says Dreyer. English is standard for all levels, good English is no longer special. "If this was often discussed ten years ago in job interviews, it is simply assumed today," reports Sonja Theilmeier, Business English Trainer of Enjoy English. A level of B1 according to the European Reference Framework (GER) is now regarded as the lower average for an academic.
- To have a career: In the companies, the career opportunities continue to diversify. In addition to leadership careers, expert, specialist and project careers are increasingly establishing themselves. Middle management (sandwich management), seen as a transitional position for a long time or superfluous middle plank, is increasingly coming to the fore as the central building block of corporate success. Thus, middle management is a career goal and not just the intermediate to top management, "says career expert Martina Bandoly from Berlin. Nowhere else are social skills as important as here. The leadership expert Thomas Kuhlmann from Bonn also sees it that way. "In addition to the self-care in the above sense of the management personnel, staff management gets a new challenging direction."
- Social Media: Allegedly, Facebook will become the new racer for recruitment consultants, oracle some blogs. Only, how should one search there? This is not really possible. Therefore, it is important to decide here. For the youth, which grows into the first training and first job experience, Facebook is the most popular job market, "says career counselor Ursula Thieme from Großhansdorf near Hamburg. She finds in the largest network her jobs more and more about existing contacts. 300 Facebook friends are nothing left for a 18 year old. "For further careers Facebook and Co., however, remain meaningless," says Ursula Thieme. Here are the really interesting job deals on personal contacts or headhunter initiated and closed offline.
- Recruiting: High gloss brochures that promise a lot, but hold nothing, no longer attract the young. Portals such as Kununu.com, which evaluate employers, become a regular contact point for job seekers. At the same time the seals like "Greatplacetowork" are not much trusted anymore. Job seekers want credible companies. Authentic communication is becoming ever more important - both internally and externally, "says career expert Ute Blindert. Only those companies who are clear about what and who they really want, and consistently implement it, have opportunities in the "War for Talents". No matter whether they are presented on the web, via social media, in magazines, on the telephone or at trade fairs.
- Further education: The subject of burnout was 2011 quite large, but also partly mystified. The companies have now come to the point that they have to do something to protect their employees. Therefore, training for the burnout prophylaxis of the Renner 2012, suspects Thomas Kuhlmann. Companies will increasingly adapt to this, as their own reputation depends on how they deal with the issue of burnout.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).