Networking, the right contacts, is important for success. But the trick is to choose from the large mass of potential contacts those who are advancing, because they have important information or influence.
But Serendipität, a certain openness also for unforeseen events and contacts, is important: Because many, just good contacts just happen by chance. Because at every business event, there are people from whom you can profit.
People knowledge asked
Nevertheless, it is important to be able to assess other people correctly. It is helpful to be able to recognize the different types and to classify them correctly.
Because not everyone who talks non-stop at a network meeting is also really interesting. On the other hand, perhaps those who sit quietly in the corner and watch the bustle are important.
The good guys do not need it anymore!
After all, those who already have a large and well-maintained network generally do not need to really get to know each other. So some gray mouse, sitting alone in the corner at an event, turns out to be a silent star of the network meeting, which is secretly well informed about all processes.
Therefore it is not always easy to figure out the really important people and to get in touch with them. Above all, because the really interesting people are very selective about their interlocutors.
First look, then act ...
But how can the contact with the right people still succeed? The best way is to look around at an event: Where are larger groups? Who is talking to whom? Who has the overview?
In the second step you can approach individual people and start small talk or listen in groups to the conversations and get involved in interesting conversations. In this way, you quickly get a sense of whether further deepening of the contact is worthwhile - or not.
Typical errors in networking
However, one should always be careful to put people immediately in drawers. If you are trying to get connected as fast and efficiently as possible, and always have the right people with you, networking is quicker than ever. Networking is always a healthy giving and taking. And others notice very quickly when they are to be worn out.
But it is equally important not to let yourself be exploited: networking has nothing to do with free services and constant support from others. And nobody should get involved in uninteresting conversations for hours at network meetings: In such cases it is advisable to say politely but firmly “No”.
10 tips for networking
Not every potential contact is the ideal network partner for you. Which types will help you - and which not? Here is a perhaps not completely deadly meant survey, who could be important - and who you can safely leave!
- The silent star: You do not recognize him at first glance, because he likes to be alone in the corner and relaxed watching the situation. Only when something really interests him does he approach her.
- The charismatic: always surrounded by a cluster of people, but still attentive, if something really interests him. The best method: Simply listen. He will ask if he wants to know something.
- The mimosa: Also rather quiet, but when you address them, the mimosa quickly turns out to be sensitive, always negative things happen. It's better to look far before the lacrimal glands open.
- The Long-Liver: Mostly he comes to you and talks without ceasing - but mostly trivial stuff. Find an excuse and search the distance before you lose too much time.
- The skeptic: At first unsympathetic, because he has everything critically eyed and in everything you say, something to complain about. Yet: Criticism sometimes takes you further Give him a chance.
- The Unconventional: Even if he likes to appear with holes in the jeans: Behind the freaky façade is more than one can trust him in the first moment. A network partner who can arouse interest.
- The over-zealous: dressed dressed, always trying to say the right, but actually is not really interesting. Be polite, but do not lose too much time.
- Der Schleimer: An unpleasant contemporary: he tries to get information from you by telling you exactly what you want to hear.
- The Besserwisser: Unlike the skeptic, the know-it-all is only looking for your approval and brings them little. It's best to introduce two know-it-alls to each other!
- The secret: The opposite of the Chatterbox - twice as interesting, because he usually has important insider information, but are difficult to get out of it. Rejoice when talking to you.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).