Networking - the art of getting in touch with people quickly and easily
Some time ago I have the Social Traveler Bjorn Troch interviewed, He traveled around the world for three years, gaining a lot of experience with people. What he also learned: The need to get in touch quickly and easily with other people. His motto "Be Social" means just that: just talk to other people.
With that, many people find it difficult, especially in Germany. Even if it seems difficult to get into conversation with people you hardly or not at all know, approach people with ease and simplicity. Find a starting point from each situation or behavior of the other.
Tips for starting a conversation
In every situation there is the appropriate opportunity to which you can tie thematically. If possible find a positive entry - otherwise you stand there as a complainer. Here is a small selection:
- Take initiative: If you stand in the elevator near the counter: "Hello. Which floor do you need? I do that ... here? "You only know the colleague from sight? Never mind: "Hello. We meet here and now. In which department do you work? "Or:" Funny that we meet here every day. Takes only ten floors, but at least. Is much to do with you? "You know people a little better? Say something pleasant: "Well, how was it on vacation?"
- Do not be afraid of embarrassments: Many people are afraid of small talk because they press themselves with the desire to say something particularly intelligent. Better: First, explore the situation: Observe the people present. Who interests you? Who else stands apart? Who does not really know how to get in contact with the others, eg at the company party? Who do you like?
- Imagine yourself: Whether you get into conversation with someone depends very much on whether everything starts right from the start. Someone who immediately calls his name gives more confidence than the great silence. Even if name tags are present or your counterpart already knows by whom he has in front of you, you look more polite and sympathetic, if you yourself again personally imagine, It also helps if you do not know each other's name - they will introduce themselves in person. If you did not understand the name, ask simply.
- First, let the other person talk and listen attentively. Because many people lack the patience, so your counterpart will be pleased with honest interest and tell about themselves something about themselves. Comment on his remarks with small intermediate sounds and corresponding gestures. Just let the conversation go.
- Sometimes the first sentences already contain starting points: Example canteen: The colleague likes Italian food? Now your creativity is in demand: Which pictures appear in front of your mental eye? Make association chains, such as: "food - leisure - vacation. Colleague Italy probably likes ... "And then ask attentively:" Have you been on vacation in Italy before? Oh, in Tuscany - where exactly? "
- Listening is silver, right questions is gold:, Nobody likes senior teachers and frequent speakers. So let the others talk and ask open questions that start with why, why or how. Then you also get answers, because people appreciate honest interest and recognition.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).