Everyone knows everyone around 6 corners
Not for nothing it says "The world is small". For example, it was loud Staufenbiel A survey by Microsoft Research in the year 2013 that the individual is networked on average via 6,6 contacts with any person.
Research has shown that 30 billions of individual compounds support this result. This is reason enough to pay enough attention to networking, especially in professional terms, because the right contacts at the right time can be real door-openers for the career or attract and retain important customers.
Of vitamin B and the contact through the contact
While the term vitamin B used to have a rather negative flavor, it is now much more generous. And that is hardly surprising, as surveys and studies always confirm its value.
For example, an XOUMX ILO study found that managers in particular make heavy use of vitamin B to accelerate their careers. Accordingly, even 2016 percent of all management positions in Germany are occupied by relationships.
This makes working life much easier and more enjoyable, in addition, friends in the job even extend their lives. According to the study, those who do not have positive social contacts are more likely to die an 2,4-fold increased risk. The results can be read in more detail here.
4 Tips: How to build the contact best?
As important as contacts in the business are, they usually only arise through sufficient commitment and a lasting care. But what does it need at all to inspire partners, large customers and other interesting business variables and to find a common denominator?
- Quality not quantity: Since building a network can be time-consuming, networking with any person is anything but efficient. As a general rule, nobody can build and maintain intense relationships with more than 150 people. Accordingly, it makes sense to consider in advance certain criteria by which a network is built up slowly but steadily. This also includes refusing a contact request on XING and other business platforms. Because ultimately, the quality of the contacts and not the mass decides.
- Simply drauflos contacts? Better not. Establishing relationships is not easy to realize offhand. It's not for nothing that the term Business Relation Management has been coined in recent years - it already suggests that there is certainly work in a successful business network. So before starting to contact you, it should be analyzed which organizations and individuals are worthwhile for establishing a relationship. If they could become lucrative clients, they might even have an extensive network to offer, can serve as a referral, or have valuable industry know-how.
- Communicate correctly. Networking does not only consist of phrases and fast-sending contact requests. Whoever wants to remain in the memory, should have genuine interest in the respective person. In conversation - be it by personal or mail - it should be signaled that the work, the know-how or the position of the other is respected and regarded as interesting. However, this is not to be equated with clumsy flatteries. Better is a conversation on the same level at which both conversation partners feel comfortable, can contribute something to the conversation and in the best case each have added value.
- The right mood is important. The mood is not unimportant. The opposite is usually felt immediately when his conversation partner is in a bad mood or wants to get the small talk behind quickly. If it is a personal encounter, then good mood should prevail and this is also expressed by the corresponding body language.
4 Tips: How can existing contacts be maintained and maintained?
However, it has long not been enough to establish contacts - you also have to cultivate them properly so that you enjoy your business network a lot.
- Networking costs time - an aspect that should not be underestimated. Good networking takes time and needs to be worked out. Ideally, it should therefore be a small but fixed part of the working time. This can be, for example, 10 percent of the time during which the business contacts are developed and expanded. If, on the other hand, you assume that networking is simply happening by the way, you either surpass the value of good business contacts or not.
- Do not forget the regular customers: After all, time-consuming networking also applies to regular customers, who should not only be contacted when it is necessary for business - on the contrary, it is precisely here that a targeted approach is important in which customer satisfaction and service quality should be the focus. Depending on the size of a company is the use of a comprehensive Customer Relationship Management here makes sense and ensures that existing customers feel comfortable in the long term and maintain a constant connection with them.
- A large network has not only positive sides. At some point, the network begins to develop a certain dynamics of dynamics, through which many new contacts are added via other contacts. Quickly the overview can be lost, especially since many of these contacts are not relevant at all. Here it can make sense to move away from time to time and make contacts fall asleep. Ultimately, a business partner, which is not relevant, costs only time and maintenance without delivering value.
- Not only take but also give. Valuable contacts are nice and good, but these can rarely be ingratiated by a few charming words and convince. Especially in the long term, only the own added value on the market keeps such a relationship stable, because after all both sides want to profit. So if you want to use your business contacts for yourself, you should also be prepared to give something - for example in the form of knowledge, information and know-how.
As a career starter Connections and vitamin B use
Social capital - and this is nothing else but the vitamin B - is becoming more and more important as the career ladder goes up. Here, it is crucial to be in the right place at the right time, to snap up the latest developments and to use them as far as possible.
Pure expertise can usually no longer keep up. Because very clear: who the influential people in the Company and is well known to colleagues or supervisors, is more likely to be involved in projects and can face new challenges.
How do workers evaluate vitamin B and its use?
A representative survey by the Institute for Employment Research has tackled this question and interviewed a total of 563 workers. The result was that 41 percent of respondents believe that existing connections should also be used. 39 percent believed that working life relationships are indispensable.
With just 2 percent, only very few are convinced that the objective is purely objective criteria in working life. The situation is somewhat different among employers: although they also take the view that relationships should be used if it is beneficial. Nevertheless, many consider it quite realistic to have success on the labor market even without vitamin B.
Networking in international comparison
It is also interesting that the value of vitamin B in other countries is quite different. In America in particular, contacts and relationships are very popular with career questions. This can be seen, for example, in the universities: those who have studied in Yale, Harvard or Stanford, as a rule, have lived long afterwards, despite immense study costs. Because the people who are trained there are considered as elite and are preferred by many job offers alone. In addition, they also come to the coveted job offers, which are not even publicly advertised.
However, it is often still frowned upon to get a job with the help of others. Because that would mean that there was no other possibility and their own performance was not decisive. It is not at all possible that anyone who has good relations can not, and should not, simply let them fall into decay, especially since they have ultimately been developed.
Networks in detail - 4 network types
As interesting as the theory of networking is, it becomes really interesting in practice. Ultimately, the contact set-up is not so easy to implement and sometimes requires a lot of courage, self-awareness and overcoming. The behavior of the opponent also plays an important role and is usually very individual. There are some rough types, however, which can be reacted as follows:
- The strategist: - a network that has a lot of experience and is only interested in the best contacts. He is always thinking about who he wants to join his network, and therefore he has many high-quality connections, such as industry experts and highly qualified professionals. However, this also makes it difficult to arouse his interest, especially for those in employment. What really matters are the abilities. A recommendation by a joint contact can lead the stone into the roll, however, it needs a lot of own initiative. If he is convinced, he can, however, be a door opener when it comes to jobs and promotions.
- The charmer: - he is in a good mood and easy-going, so he quickly attracts attention. It is hardly surprising that he is known and popular in his company. He is therefore often found in network events, and he is mainly used as an intermediary because he knows many people. In order to keep him in mind, however, his interlocutor should also be self-confident and have an anecdote, so that the charmer does not disappear directly to another familiar face.
- The reticent: - even shy networkers can be exciting business contacts. However, they usually stay a little off the beaten track and get a picture of the situation before they become active. Often, however, this network simply keeps itself back, so it usually has a rather small network. This, however, he cares very carefully and can lure him his conversation partner out of the reserve, he often gives interesting expertise and is a reliable contact.
- The collector: - He is present at many network events and also very active on online platforms. There he focuses on mass and secures as much contact data as possible. This gives him a very large network, but it is impossible to take care of any contact in the long term. So if the relationship is to last, then even the initiative must be taken.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).