This entry contains content and information that may be out of date, eg due to legal or statistical changes. Because it can still be helpful to get an overview of the topic, you can still find it here.
Impact of Consumerization
Dell and Intel have commissioned TNS Global Research to carry out this project. The study focused on the trend towards consumerization of IT and the increasing mobility of employees.
Consumerization refers to the process or the phenomenon that electronic devices, such as smartphones, tablet PCs, are also used by employees for their work.
What exactly is it about?
Now the results of the third and final phase of the multi-year research project "Evolving Workforce" have been presented. The project examines the influence of modern communication and IT technology on the world of work.
After conducting a worldwide survey of more than 8.000 employees in the second phase, the final report from the Evolving Workforce project is now the view of business and IT executives.
In its three sections People, Productivity and Progress, the "Report 3: The Business Perspective and Research Summary" reflects the views of international experts, CEOs and CIOs on technological change.
Productivity increase vs. risks
The study grows in the Company but also the insight that potential productivity gains must be weighed against emerging risks. Key findings of the study include that IT consumerization plays a key role in increasing employee productivity and loyalty today.
Consumerization involves the increased involvement of employees in IT procurement, the possibility to use their own devices professionally (BYOD) as well as greater flexibility at the workplace. However, companies are increasingly aware of the challenges and risks associated with IT security.
The most important results of the study at a glance
- Technology Freedom of Choice Increases Productivity: There is a growing awareness within companies that employee productivity will increase if they have a degree of freedom of choice in the technologies they use and the degree of their operational mobility. To determine the degree of freedom of choice, metrics must be set. On this basis, entrepreneurs can then see how technologies geared to particular work styles affect efficiency;
- Productivity vs. Risks: Companies need to investigate whether the higher productivity through technological freedom of choice prevails over the associated risks. Among executives surveyed, there is consensus that the use of private devices in the workplace is associated with additional security risks and the risk of data misuse. The challenge is to identify both productivity accurately, assess the safety risks precisely, and weigh the two against each other;
- New attitude to mobility: Managers have now accepted that tablets, smartphones and cloud computing have created a need for companies to focus more on mobility. Many experts believe that the convergence of applications across different devices will further promote employee mobility. Companies looking to increase productivity in the future must therefore address traditional concerns about mobile processes;
- Transparency towards employees: The question of transparency of IT decisions for employees poses a challenge for the management. Executives have concluded that the company policy pursued in consumerization must be comprehensible for employees, can have opposite effects. There was a consensus that transparency must be built up in the long term in order to actually achieve productivity effects;
- Strategic innovation: In the opinion of the experts, IT experts believe that IT companies need to pursue more intelligent, mobile-oriented and integrated approaches, and therefore to tackle the issue of IT consumerization with openness while working with partners who create tailor-made solutions , helps to meet the needs of both companies and employees.
Criticism of the study
In spite of all the euphoria, I unfortunately lack critical aspects. Sure, they are torn. But as this is just how hardware manufacturers commission a study, then is euphemistically speaking of challenges.
For example, when the first part deals with the disintegrating boundaries between professional and private life, euphemism is described as a work-life balance.
Dencon: Due to the long-term investigation an important project. Further information on the study as well as the free download possibilities of all three parts in English can be found at: http://www.dell.com/evolvingworkforce
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).