Letter of motivation - an underrated instrument
Motivational writing is not only an annoying part of your application, but can be a decisive factor in the selection process. But this is unfortunately underestimated by many contenders.
When the letter of motivation is used exactly and how you can differentiate yourself from other applicants successfully, I will show you in the following five steps:
1. Reasons for motivation
With the letter of motivation, which is also known as "the third party" and thus follows the cover letter and the CV, the applicant once again has the chance to emphasize his qualities. But beware: Only use the creative cover letter if it is explicitly desired, or if you believe that you can gain a decisive advantage for yourself. Some recruiters see in the cover letter only the repetition of information already given the front pages, so they are given no attention and your work was a vain lover of love.
Instead, spend a good deal of time writing a well thought-out and job-specific motivation letter instead of adding a slightly modified version to each application. Especially in the creative industry, such as journalism, where a decent style of writing is a good thing, more attention is paid to the letter of motivation. But also Company, which receive tons of applications, use the letter to make a first preselection.
2. Why is individuality so important?
The motivation letter carries your personal touch and, depending on the content request, either includes your central skills or your direct motivation for the job you are writing. Often, the two points can be combined so that you can put your skills directly into the workplace.
Based on your motivation letter, it can be deduced how intensively you dealt with the job. Do you go into detail and show active interest or are you merely scratching the surface of the content and thus getting lost in the crowd? How to write a letter of motivation that demonstrates true commitment is illustrated in the next section.
3. How should a motivation letter be built up?
In principle, a DinA4 page is perfectly adequate for motivation writing. Finally, only the most striking points are included in such a letter. Writing is, in principle, written in the I-form.
The letterhead includes your name, address, telephone number as well as the usual cover letter eMail-Address. In order to emphasize the individuality of your motivation letter, you should also use a direct contact instead of a general address. However, you have to be absolutely sure, as wrong addressing is a criterion for an immediate application exclusion. In addition, with the help of your motivation letter you can demonstrate your fluency and good writing style. A well-chosen formulation can therefore be a decisive criterion in the course of the application process.
- The Teaser: A small but decisive part of the letter makes up the headline. It provides the reader with an incentive to read your cover letter. However, you do not achieve this by flat, unimaginative and hackneyed phrases, such as "motivation letter", but by a chosen offensive address: "Why I occupy your position optimally", "This qualifies me for the post ..." or "That you should know me ". For clarity of your motivation letter you can insert subheadings.
- The introduction: Choose a clear and meaningful introductory sentence, which animates next to the headline to continue reading. Again, it is important to keep away from standard phrases à la "I am very interested in ..." and instead to do creative personal contribution. Here you should give your main argument, which is why you are suitable for this job. To emphasize your motivation again, it is helpful to name a career goal you want to get to. This not only gives the reader a sense of purpose, but also provides him with a well-thought-out career plan and thus underpins his argument once again.
- The main part: Try to see the motivation letter as a kind of supplement to your cover letter and resume to prevent unnecessary repetitions. Highlight individual aspects that have not found place within the standard application documents but still represent a relevant criterion for the application. If your CV contains gaps, you have the opportunity to take a position and submit a plausible explanation. At the center, however, is your motivation, why you should have this job and you should have it. As honesty lasts longest, you should always state your sincere motives rather than let yourself be guided by what the other person would like to hear. Do not worry!
- The end: Here again you have the opportunity to make a confident statement regarding the position. Start with a clear and direct address: "I am looking forward to a positive feedback in the form of a personal conversation." The common subjunctive used here merely attenuates your previous reasoning and, if possible, should not be used.
4. What should be the motivation letter?
A motivation letter should of course not only convince formally, but also content. In general, therefore, it should include the following aspects:
- Why do you really want this job?
- What makes you particularly attractive at this job?
- What sets you apart from the other applicants?
- What profitable qualities do you bring for the job?
- Why choose one for you?
In order to make your motivation letter a successful project, you should never take over this or related articles parts one by one. The article is only an orientation and source of inspiration.
The writing lives through your own performance and embellishment. With strong reasoning, well-founded motivation, and obvious interest in the business, you have a solid foundation for successful writing. I wish you success!
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download or print this text as PDF for 24 hours - no distribution or duplication! When buying in "interests" the title: register, after purchase text Download at this URL, Buy multiple texts in one PDF: Book multiple copies and buy after purchase eMail communicate exact titles. Premium Members download 1 for free for a year.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or appeal as a job applicant? For these and other topics, we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).