Letter of motivation - an underrated instrument
Motivational writing is not only an annoying part of your application, but can be a decisive factor in the selection process. But this is unfortunately underestimated by many contenders.
When the letter of motivation is used exactly and how you can differentiate yourself from other applicants successfully, I will show you in the following five steps:
1. Reasons for motivation
With the letter of motivation, which is also known as “the third party” and thus follows the cover letter and the CV, the applicant has another chance to emphasize his qualities. But be careful: Only use the creative cover letter if it is explicitly requested or if you believe that you can achieve a decisive advantage for yourself. Because some HR personnel see in the cover letter only the repetition of information already given on the previous pages, so that no attention is paid to them and your work was in vain love efforts.
Instead, take plenty of time to write a well-thought-out motivation letter tailored to the application, instead of enclosing a slightly modified version with each application. Especially in the creative industry, such as journalism, in which a good style of writing is part of good tone, more and more attention is paid to the motivation letter. But companies that receive tons of applications also use the letter to make a preliminary selection.
2. Why is individuality so important?
The motivation letter carries your personal touch and, depending on the content request, either includes your central skills or your direct motivation for the job you are writing. Often, the two points can be combined so that you can put your skills directly into the workplace.
Based on your motivation letter, it can be deduced how intensively you dealt with the job. Do you go into detail and show active interest or are you merely scratching the surface of the content and thus getting lost in the crowd? How to write a letter of motivation that demonstrates true commitment is illustrated in the next section.
3. How should a motivation letter be built up?
In principle, a DinA4 page is perfectly adequate for motivation writing. Finally, only the most striking points are included in such a letter. Writing is, in principle, written in the I-form.
The letterhead includes your name, address, telephone number as well as the usual cover letter eMail-Address. In order to emphasize the individuality of your motivation letter, you should also use a direct contact instead of a general address. However, you have to be absolutely sure, as wrong addressing is a criterion for an immediate application exclusion. In addition, with the help of your motivation letter you can demonstrate your fluency and good writing style. A well-chosen formulation can therefore be a decisive criterion in the course of the application process.
- The Teaser: A small but crucial part of the letter makes up the headline. It provides the reader with an incentive to read your cover letter. However, you will not achieve this through flat, uninspired and hackneyed phrases, such as "motivation letter", but through a chosen offensive address: "Why I am filling your position optimally", "That qualifies me for the position ..." or "You should about that." know me ”. To make your letter of motivation clear, you can add sub-headings.
- The introduction: Choose a clear and meaningful introductory phrase that encourages you to continue reading next to the heading. Again, it is important to stay away from standard phrases like "I am very interested in ..." and instead to do our own creative work. Here you should state your main argument, which is why you are suitable for this position. In order to emphasize your motivation again, it is helpful to name a career goal that you want to reach. This not only gives the reader determination, but also provides him with a well-thought-out career plan and thus underpins your argument again.
- The main part: Try to see the motivation letter as a kind of supplement to your cover letter and resume to prevent unnecessary repetitions. Highlight individual aspects that have not found place within the standard application documents but still represent a relevant criterion for the application. If your CV contains gaps, you have the opportunity to take a position and submit a plausible explanation. At the center, however, is your motivation, why you should have this job and you should have it. As honesty lasts longest, you should always state your sincere motives rather than let yourself be guided by what the other person would like to hear. Do not worry!
- The end: Here you have the opportunity to make a confident statement regarding the position. Rely on a clear and direct approach: "I look forward to positive feedback in the form of a personal conversation." The subjunctive frequently used here only weakens your previous reasoning and should not be used if possible.
4. What should be the motivation letter?
A motivation letter should of course not only convince formally, but also content. In general, therefore, it should include the following aspects:
- Why do you really want this job?
- What makes you particularly attractive at this job?
- What sets you apart from the other applicants?
- What profitable qualities do you bring for the job?
- Why choose one for you?
In order to make your letter of motivation a successful project, you should not undertake parts one-to-one of this or related articles. Of the Article sees itself only as an orientation and source of ideas.
The writing lives through your own performance and embellishment. With strong reasoning, well-founded motivation, and obvious interest in the business, you have a solid foundation for successful writing. I wish you success!
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).