Letter of motivation - an underrated instrument
Motivational writing is not only an annoying part of your application, but can be a decisive factor in the selection process. But this is unfortunately underestimated by many contenders.
When the letter of motivation is used exactly and how you can differentiate yourself from other applicants successfully, I will show you in the following five steps:
1. Reasons for motivation
With the motivation letter, which is also known as "the third party" and thus follows the cover letter and the CV, the applicant once again has the opportunity to emphasize his qualities. But beware: Only use the creative cover letter if it is explicitly desired, or if you believe that you can gain a decisive advantage for yourself. Some recruiters see in the cover letter just the repetition of information already given the front pages, so they are given no attention and your work was a vain loosely.
Instead, spend a good deal of time writing a well thought-out and job-specific motivation letter instead of adding a slightly modified version to each application. Especially in the creative industry, such as journalism, where a decent style of writing is a good thing, more attention is paid to the letter of motivation. But also Company, which receive tons of applications, use the letter to make a first preselection.
2. Why is individuality so important?
The motivation letter carries your personal touch and, depending on the content request, either includes your central skills or your direct motivation for the job you are writing. Often, the two points can be combined so that you can put your skills directly into the workplace.
Based on your motivation letter, it can be deduced how intensively you dealt with the job. Do you go into detail and show active interest or are you merely scratching the surface of the content and thus getting lost in the crowd? How to write a letter of motivation that demonstrates true commitment is illustrated in the next section.
3. How should a motivation letter be built up?
In principle, a DinA4 page is perfectly adequate for motivation writing. Finally, only the most striking points are included in such a letter. Writing is, in principle, written in the I-form.
The letterhead includes your name, address, telephone number as well as the usual cover letter eMail-Address. In order to emphasize the individuality of your motivation letter, you should also use a direct contact instead of a general address. However, you have to be absolutely sure, as wrong addressing is a criterion for an immediate application exclusion. In addition, with the help of your motivation letter you can demonstrate your fluency and good writing style. A well-chosen formulation can therefore be a decisive criterion in the course of the application process.
- The Teaser: A small but decisive part of the letter is the headline. It provides the reader with an incentive to read your cover letter. However, you do not achieve this by flat, unimaginative and hackneyed phrases, such as "motivation letter", but by a chosen offensive address: "Why I occupy your position optimally", "That qualifies me for the post ..." or "That you should know me ". For clarity of your motivation letter you can insert subheadings.
- The introduction: Choose a clear and meaningful introductory sentence, which animates next to the headline to continue reading. Again, it is important to keep away from standard phrases à la "I am very interested in ..." and instead to do creative personal contribution. Here you should give your main argument, which is why you are suitable for this job. To emphasize your motivation again, it is helpful to name a career goal you want to reach. This not only gives the reader a sense of purpose, but also provides him with a well-thought-out career plan and thus underpins his argument once again.
- The main part: Try to see the motivation letter as a kind of supplement to your cover letter and resume to prevent unnecessary repetitions. Highlight individual aspects that have not found place within the standard application documents but still represent a relevant criterion for the application. If your CV contains gaps, you have the opportunity to take a position and submit a plausible explanation. At the center, however, is your motivation, why you should have this job and you should have it. As honesty lasts longest, you should always state your sincere motives rather than let yourself be guided by what the other person would like to hear. Do not worry!
- The end: Here again you have the opportunity to make a confident statement regarding the position. Put your finger on a straightforward and direct response: "I am pleased to hear positive feedback in the form of a personal conversation." The common subjunctive used here merely attenuates your previous reasoning and, if possible, should not be used.
4. What should be the motivation letter?
A motivation letter should of course not only convince formally, but also content. In general, therefore, it should include the following aspects:
- Why do you really want this job?
- What makes you particularly attractive at this job?
- What sets you apart from the other applicants?
- What profitable qualities do you bring for the job?
- Why choose one for you?
In order to make your motivation letter a successful project, you should never take over this or related articles parts one by one. The article is only an orientation and source of inspiration.
The writing lives through your own performance and embellishment. With strong reasoning, well-founded motivation, and obvious interest in the business, you have a solid foundation for successful writing. I wish you success!
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).