From the author:
Do you want to be a leader, a pioneer or a specialist?
For new teams to be set up, each member initially approaches their role with their own self-image. Various measures, such as an introductory workshop, can define and clearly distribute project roles.
Fundamental here is the distinction between the technical roles as envisaged by a project agreement and what Meredith Belbin (www.belbin.com/about/belbin)team-roles /) are referred to as "complementary informal team roles". The author differentiates between nine types, which in turn subdivide them into three categories: action-oriented, communication-oriented and knowledge-oriented.
Man and his motifs
Like the McClelland motifs (see also blog part 1) Belbins model also determines individual strengths and weakness profiles. We see in the combination of both models that they are surprisingly exactly correlated.
The following overview shows the individual strengths and weakness profiles of the three motifs according to McClelland and determines suitable informal team roles, which the members of the motif types assume with some probability:
Team runners are made of motifs
- Strengths / contribution - Thinks analytically, wants to achieve the best possible result and gain knowledge, seeks the technical challenge, is responsible and conscientious
- Weaknesses - Target fixation leads to understanding other than abstract factors, relationship design and communication can be difficult, conflict signals are often overlooked, delegation is difficult
- Possible role according to Belbin - knowledge-oriented roles: innovator, observer, specialist or action-oriented role: perfectionist
- Strengths / contribution - High emotional and social intelligence, ensures a pleasant working atmosphere, strong communication, high levels of empathy and team orientation, ability to balance and diplomacy
- Weaknesses: Conflict can be pronounced and clear words and prescriptions, overloading by means of helpfulness and problems to delegate are possible, can be postponing and vulnerable
- Possible role according to Belbin - communication-oriented roles: team worker, pioneer, possibly also chairman
- Strengths / Contribution - Strong in decision-making and assertiveness, can motivate and inspire others, develops and implements ideas, can initiate and move things, works with dedication and tirelessly
- Weaknesses - Critical ability can be low, concerns are brushed aside in exuberance, can be "missionary" and / or be ruthless, dominant and calculating
- Possible role after Belbin - action-oriented roles: creator, implementer, also restricted perfectionist or possibly communication-oriented role: Chairman
With motive and team role to more success
Personnel responsible should coordinate the motive, informal team role and actual project roles as far as possible.
In doing so, they minimize the risk of demotivation, over- or under-exertion, loss of friction, lack of competence or conflict, and at the same time maximize the success of the company as a whole.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).