5 Tips: Fears of Workers and How Executives Handle It
Work can be done wherever you like - for workers, the home office is actually a paradise, one might think. But they too have their worries and fears about the topic. According to a Spiegel survey, 67,5 of 5000 respondents would like to have fixed, regular working hours. From various investigations, 5 criticizes typical reservations against Home Office and flexible working, which are repeatedly brought forward, are:
- Cut off from informal channels: According to a study published by the Center of Human Resources Information Systems (CHRIS) at the University of Bamberg together with the employment agency Monster, 43,8 percent of 7.040 respondents in the home office have fewer social contacts with colleagues and thus run the risk of being cut off from informal communication. And 24,3 percent fear even reduced career opportunities.
- No relationship building: A study by the management consultancy RW3 CultureWizard Among 30.000 employees shows: For 75 percent of respondents, it is difficult to develop trust in virtual teams. 79 percent complained too little time for relationship building and 71 percent too little sympathy. At 33 percent, half of the team members did not live in their own country, so different time zones make communication difficult. And 70 percent are bothered by cultural differences in conflict management, especially since 41 percent never met their virtual colleagues in person.
- Missing feedback can be unsafe: After 13 years in the home office, I know from my own experience which psychological challenges the home office can offer to employees: the lack of social contact can lead to isolation. Missing feedback, especially with small things, can make you unsafe. Not for nothing, coworking spaces are very popular among freelancers, which precisely simulate the office feeling and provide opportunities for regular exchange and networking.
- More self-discipline necessary: You also have to be in the Home Office more discipline itselfso as not to be distracted by family, neighbors, the household or the nice weather. On the other hand, sometimes you have to force yourself to take breaks, exercise and a healthy diet - things that you might automatically join in the office. Those who are free to decide when and how much they work tend to work more and often to self-exploitation.
- Fear of bad reviews: And a Survey conducted by the market research and polling agency YouGov on behalf of Samsung among 1.039 employees and 301 executives shows: While almost 80 percent of respondents disagree with the statement that Home Office prevents creativity and teamwork. In contrast, nearly a quarter of respondents think that colleagues who are physically present in the office are better valued than those who work from home or elsewhere.
This shows that it makes little sense to introduce the home office: managers have to deal with these not entirely unjustified fears of their employees and work out solutions together.
Corporate culture and leadership must fit
This includes a real one Change Process, the overall leadership and corporate culture and employee communication need to be aligned to these changes. This does not happen tomorrow, but only step by step, but is essential, otherwise the shot with great freedom quickly backfires.
Therefore, it always has a bit of a taste for me, if managers assume responsibility for their employees and leave this seemingly free choice in terms of working hours and place of work. If you listen more closely to phrases like: "Of course, everyone has to know how often he can be missed, if leadership or team decisions are pending", which also puts employees under pressure to work around the clock. In fact, I believe management can do a great deal to help make the home office experiment successful.
5 Virtual Guidance Tips: Keep teams together despite their physical separation
The special challenge of the remote working consists finally, a team despite spatial separation virtually welded togetherto lead and to facilitate a trusting cooperation. A task with which more and more people become involved in the course of increasing global networking Company have to deal with.
- Increased organizational effort: A big problem in many companies is undeniably the increased organizational effort: How to reach colleague X if he prefers to work at night or in a different time zone? I experience again and again that employees want to grab the phone quickly. Here, rethinking and new technical tools are required: away from the dialogical, including the eMail involves towards the collective virtual work.
- Working with online tools: Instead of talking about a project, colleagues can work together to develop documents together, such as via Etherpads or project management tools such as Slack. Everyone knows what the other has contributed. And it saves time, because you do not have to wait for someone else to work on you, or you do not know exactly which version of a document is the newest one. Chat forums, wikis and digital boards also help all team members to keep track of project status and results, anytime, anywhere.
- Flurfunk simulate with tablets: When it comes to keeping teams virtually together, informal communication, the hallway radio, must also be taken into account. Sounds difficult because digital communication is usually earmarked and leaves little room for random encounters. at the American photography agency Shutterstock For example, mostly small teams work on projects over long distances and in different time zones. Are used here eMail, Skype, Google Hangout, and cloud-based collaboration tools like Google Drive. But it also simulates the normal office situation, including hallway radio, many product developers work in different locations while working constantly talking on tablets that have placed at the desk.
- Keep teams virtual: But how does one manage to keep a team together over physical distances? Here can be remedied, such as the virtual coffee bar or the virtual lunch, regular virtual meetings and personal meetings, where the whole team comes together. If such new forms of work have not yet arrived in the corporate culture and you graft the home office just because everyone does it that way, I actually see black for this experiment.
- Organize regular meetings: In spite of digitization, personal meetings are indispensable in the long run, as only a relationship builds between team members. It is therefore necessary to meet regularly in person - if that is not possible, at least Skype to use.
5 suggestions for the mobile working of the future
Nevertheless, it pays to question existing work routines and to think beyond mobile work, as it is often done. Because the previous discussion is not easy enough for me and is far too small. Even the home office relocates the work only spatially from the office to home, but does not change the underlying performance idea "who works a lot also does more". This results in the following questions for me:
- Inspiration: How would it be, instead, when work focused more on creating truly creative ideas than just "working things off"?
- Real Mobile Work: How about discussing how to really be mobile - for example when hiking or in other unusual places?
- Mobile equipment: How would mobile devices have to look and be made to work like this? I'm thinking of new developments like foldable screens, which would definitely be an improvement to my working conditions.
- Legal requirements: What must change socially and legally to promote and disseminate such forms of work? Does that have only advantages or disadvantages for many workers? And therefore such changes at all desirable?
- Which developments do we want? Facebook, for example, is working to connect the brain directly to mobile technology and to control the Internet by means of thinking. Are such developments desirable and conducive to mobile work - or rather alarming.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).