Mobile application: How to convince with a short profile and Co.
About 75 times a day we unlock our smartphone, we see two hours a day on the screen. No wonder, because now you can do almost everything with the phone:
From daily shopping to travel bookings and detailed family chats to the search for love. For many people, the smartphone has almost completely replaced the classic computer. Except for applications, most Germans still use the PC here. Actually do that Sense?
Mobile job search on the rise
First of all, a look at the facts: The mobile application refers both to the search for information about jobs and employers as well as the application to advertised positions, each with mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets. And this form of application is on the rise. The proportion of candidates using mobile phones for job search and job applications has doubled in the past three years.
According to the study series “Recruiting Trends 2018” by the Center of Human Resources Information Systems (CHRIS) at the University of Bamberg, four out of ten Germans state that they use the smartphone to look for jobs on the go. The majority, however, switch to the computer “when things get serious”. The HR departments also see potential in mobile applications: Almost 90 percent of the top 1.000 companies in Germany stated that mobile devices have a major impact on recruitment, because a good 21 percent of all applications are already sent via these.
Classic vs. Mobile application
The mobile application offers a whole range of advantages. What they are, is well explained by an example: It is Sunday, 20: 30 o'clock, you are lying on the sofa and see the crime scene, at the same time you participate in the investigation of the case on Twitter. Incidentally, you are thinking about the past working week, which unfortunately was not great, and you are growing in the desire for change. Something new has to come.
So instead of annotating each dialogue as usual on Twitter, this time you surf to various job postings via smartphone and find interesting options. Usually, you now sit down at the computer and collect all the addresses and requirements, create a job application with motivation letter, resume, and credentials, and customize it for each employer. For each application you write a modified cover letter by mail, check several times whether you have also appended the correct application folder (we all do), send the requests piece by piece and hope for positive feedback.
Mobile Apply in 3 simple steps
Quite an effort if you think about it like that. A mobile application could make the process easier. For our example we use the “Monster Job App”. The app shows how an external job portal manages mobile applications.
The steps that follow are done so quickly that it is possible to do so on Sunday evenings on the sofa.
- First, with just a few clicks, you create a profile with your provider, in this case Monster, and enter your personal information.
- Then you upload all the documents you want to send along with your application - unfortunately you will not be able to pass this on a CV. You indicate which job you are interested in and see at a glance all available offers in your region.
- And then comes the trick - similar to the mobile dating app Tinder, it is sufficient to swipe the individual offers to the right or left to reject them or to apply. Finished. No further attachments, no cover letter, no application forms.
The mobile application has three big advantages: It saves time, work and can be done from anywhere. Companies also benefit from this: Recruiters can target significantly more potential applicants. A win for both sides.
3 Tips for Applicants
But even with the mobile application, there are some pitfalls. The following points should be considered by applicants:
- Demarcation For applications, it is important to emphasize the personal strengths right at the beginning and thus create an individualization. This sets you apart from the competition and leaves a lasting impression.
- Focus It seems easy to swipe all employers to the right and apply everywhere. However, you should not do this if the jobs do not meet your needs and qualifications. This will save you and the employer a lot of time.
- Accuracy Precisely in the fast, mobile world, accuracy is important so that no mistakes creep into the application that can disqualify the candidate. So better play it safe and have someone proofreading you. This ensures that the documents arrive error-free at the desired company.
Conclusion: Mobile as an alternative to the classic application
The mobile application is already today a serious alternative to the classic application. Although there is room for improvement in some areas and not all employers support the offer, mobile recruiting will play an increasingly important role in the future. Job boards like Monster already provide solutions for mobile job hunting. It is up to employers and applicants to accept them. Maybe it will be possible to solve this part of life from the desk too.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960404
English version: ISBN 9783965960411 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).