Mixed Leadership in German Company
When I was looking for examples of mixed leadership some time ago, many companies waved off: Apparently, even if they had won prizes for them, the topic was somehow too sensitive for them to go public.
But it is increasingly evident in many examples and studies: If women and men work together successfully, this will be better for the company in the long term.
Leadership teamwork good for companies too
For example, an analysis by the Mckinsey consulting firm of all listed European corporations has found that companies with the highest proportion of women in executive positions have a 48 percent higher profit than the industry average.
The management consultancy Accenture has also analyzed the 358 largest companies from 24 countries in Europe. The higher the proportion of women in management positions with personnel responsibility, the higher the profit.
But often problems start elsewhere, such as communication, and are so banal that you want to get your head down.
Venus Vs. Mars?
Years ago, "Women are from Venus, Men from Mars" was the title of a bestselling book that tackled this difficult topic of communication.
But even if this cliché aggravates the facts, but one thing is true: The communication behavior of women and men is often different. This results in many misunderstandings - especially in everyday working life.
Women: Prefer indirect
Women are usually more indirect than too open. They are in harmony and do not want to hurt their counterpart. Therefore, they often consider a clear, clear and direct behavior to be rude.
So if you want something, they say that more indirectly and cautiously - like "maybe we could ..." And they tend to emphasize your shortcomings without need and without being asked, say, "I've already read a hundred books on the subject, I'm still unsure. "
Men: Grotesque self-confidence
Men, on the other hand, tend to go through their day-to-day leadership with a sometimes grotesque self-confidence. They are more direct and competitive. For example, if someone contradicts them, they quickly break a power struggle: "What comes to mind? I'll show it to you! "Are the first reactions.
And they have no inhibitions about talking about "my department," "my store," or "my team," for the "I" hiring someone, even if on closer inspection hiring decisions are not taken by a single person at all.
The problems that result from this difference in everyday life are often similar; Best of HR – Berufebilder.de®-author Dr. Cornelia Topf She has experienced it over and over again in her more than twenty years as a business coach in different companies: Especially the women have problems to assert themselves in the job.
"Women often want to be polite," explains the management trainer, who also wrote the book "Assertiveness for Women". "If in doubt, this is only considered polite, if the person in front of me has the same sex as me and I can therefore assume that she thinks, feels and acts like me."
So if she wants to prevail, she has to be clearer about what she wants. In addition, a degree of selfishness is necessary, Topf knows: "Understanding others tends to be good and right," she says. However, "woman" should not exaggerate it: "Whoever thinks more of the needs of others than of their own out of sheer sensitivity shoots past the target."
But men also have to pay more attention to the needs of women, because they can gain new perspectives through this, the management coach advises: "Men and women should pull together instead of working as a counterparty against each other. And to eliminate the communicative differences, trust is needed. You have to work that together! "
8 tips for communication
Men do not understand women and vice versa - 8 Examples of communicative misunderstandings that give tips on how to do better in a given situation.
- The woman wants to build a good working environment or seeks confirmation: "I'm not sure, maybe it's a stupid idea, but do not you think we should convene a team meeting again?" Male colleagues and bosses have the impression of subservience and insecurity.
- The: Woman wants to show competence without being in the foreground: "I've already read a hundred books on the subject, but I'm still unsure." The man thinks, "Like, 100 books read and still no idea - that never buys it"
- The woman wants to be constructive without being too demanding: "I would like to attend a seminar on negotiation. Would there still be a place and what would that cost? "The colleague thinks:" She does not know what she wants "
- The woman lets the boss hang out: "Sir Dr. Mueller, now first go into the room 10 to the OP - Gone Tung, then the embolism into the 12 aftercare and then check the medication in 18 "The woman thinks," I hope he is not hurt by my commanding "The.! Staff, however, is grateful for the clear instruction!
- The man wants to emphasize his competences: "My department has solved this difficult task with flying colors through my outstanding leadership qualities." The colleague thinks: "Such a showman!" The boss thinks: "Capable man!"
- The man clarifies the ranking: "Let me do it, give it to me, I'm an expert!" The man thinks: "Boa ey, he has it." The woman feels it like an attack, arrogance or aggression. The result is defense posture and defense.
- The man discovers compliments as verbal attacks: "Well, you're probably gargling with gravel!" "I prefer to stand in front of the fridge. Since it is still warmer than in your area. "The colleague is personally offended! The man thinks: "How well he has recognized my strengths"
- The man puts himself in the foreground: "I've made the team a success," instead of "The team has done an excellent job." Men tend to be more impressed, women perceive this as a demonstration of power and unpleasant arrogance.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).