Stress due to the wrong goals
Not only that, the life around us threatens to become more and more stressful - no, we let ourselves be infected by this hustle and bustle. We are led to believe that "more and more" and "always better" are desirable goals. Even if it certainly belongs to human nature to think this way: Often enough, we too overwhelm ourselves with our goals.
For example, because we lag behind false ideals from the media; because we compare ourselves with colleagues, friends and acquaintances; because we let ourselves be imposed on goals from the outside, such as bosses or clients.
Half-hearted goals make you unproductive
And they are often stressed because these goals do not suit us at all and therefore we only follow them half-heartedly. The result is that we are not really productive and consequently not very successful.
The stress we complain of is often enough homemade: instead of grumbling and blaming others for the misery, we should consider what we ourselves can do to change the situation. For example, by rethinking what we really want and being thankful for what has already been achieved.
The Gratitude Diary
In this context, I came across the idea of a Gratitude Diary. It may sound simple at first glance, but the two suggest adding a thank you note every evening for which you are thankful that day. And without any ifs and buts. This results in several advantages:
- Writing down the positive aspects of one's life or work draws one's attention to things that are all too often taken for granted and therefore quickly forgotten.
- Those who focus on these positive aspects of life will, the experts promise, also attract more positive aspects. That sounds a bit esoteric, but it is explained by the more positive charisma and by the fact that you concentrate more on the positive in your environment.
- After all, focussing helps to explore one's own goals: After a while, you will notice that there are always similar things in the recordings that make you happy and content. This helps to recognize what is valuable in one's life.
What helps me to have a good day?
The basic principle of the Gratitude Diary is the question: "What helps me to have a good day?" Behind this is the following thought: The energy that is available to a person depends to a large extent on their own feelings and mood , Through observation and self-knowledge, it is possible to "let go" of certain feelings faster or to avoid certain moods from the outset.
- First, you have to watch yourself for a while. Write down for a few days when you discover which moods. Either write it down for an hour or write down certain impressions when you appear, such as euphoria or sympathy, or even negatives such as carelessness or anger.
- It helps to think about whether there is a specific reason for your current mood, such as bad eating, little sleep or left lying.
- This is exactly how you should make a note of yourself, what puts you in a positive mood, something to be with great people or done work.
It turns out that you should not let your moods get you down, but reflect them. It helps to realize what these emotions want to tell you and how to get them under control. It is not about suppressing a feeling and becoming a machine, but about better understanding oneself and consciously strengthening positive moods.
Although positive thinking is not a panacea ...
Of course, positive thinking is not the panacea for solving all problems. Negative feelings and justified anger about others' behaviors should not be suppressed. Necessary changes you do not even, if you are always grateful and satisfied. And indeed, compulsive optimism can even be harmful.
... that's how it can help us if we keep our positive memories in mind
Of course, it is just as damaging to hide everything positive and to see only the bad everywhere. The right mix just makes it. That's why it pays to ask yourself regularly:
- What happened today to positive things that I can be grateful for?
- What made me happy and maybe even smiling?
- When did I work in a particularly productive and motivated way?
A thank you diary is a good way to focus on the positive things in life, to be a little happier and, better, to work better. Just try it.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960763
English version: ISBN 9783965960770 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).