Those who appear modest will find help faster
A mentor leads on average to a higher income and faster rise in Companies.
This is shown by a mentoring study sponsored by the German Research Foundation, which accompanied 340 college and university graduates in their first five professional years.
What should career starters do?
Objective: To find out how new entrants should act to find the goodwill of senior executives.
The result: young professionals, who appear modest, find it easier to find a mentor to support them. Although many believe that the one who says he has more of life and faster career makes: As the study proves, the opposite is the case.
5 tips: How to find career starters mentors
In addition, the study should answer the question of how mentoring support affects professional success. The success criteria were income and the hierarchical position achieved after five years. These 5 tips have emerged.
- Active search: Anyone actively seeking mentors who support them will make faster progress in their professional lives. This also applies to workers with only average intelligence and social background from the middle class.
- Networking is everything: Good “networkers” have an advantage when looking for mentors. Because if you quickly establish contacts and also maintain and use them, you will find someone who supports them more quickly.
- To appear modest: The more modest the freshman appeared - but for all recognizably good performances -, the stronger the support from the higher ranking.
- Willingness to talk about problems: Also important for a good relationship with mentors is the willingness to talk about their own mistakes and fears. However, this openness of the newcomer to a potential mentor must be appropriate to the situation.
- Social competence required: Without the social skills of the young talent, a more confidential relationship can easily get out of hand. Openness increases the mutual sympathy and the trust between mentor and young talent, but one should not exaggerate this.
- Focus on goals: When looking for mentors, it helps to keep an eye on your own goals. The relationship with a mentor also helps junior staff to become clear about where mentees really want to go professionally and why this is important to them personally.
- Satisfaction: Those newcomers who were supported by a mentor were much happier with what they had achieved. So mentoring not only leads to objective, but also to much more subjective career satisfaction
Conclusion: Mentors are helpful
In summary, it can be said that the targeted search for mentors is actually financially worthwhile - if the mentees in Spee take the corresponding tips into account.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965963207
English version: ISBN 9783965963214 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).