Meetings: Organize rather than abolish
Some companies and managers proudly announce that they have reduced the number of their meetings to one a week, a move many managers and coaches strongly recommend. But there is another way: By organizing meetings properly.
A somewhat older study by the consulting firm Proudfoot Consulting shows why this is so. Accordingly, 150 meetings are in 50 Company not even a third (27%) properly prepared.
What is the best preparation?
Often, not even an agenda was drawn up and given to the participants in advance. Only 12% of the meetings ended with a clear definition of the next steps. The follow-up also left something to be desired: in 73% of all cases the responsibility for defined measures was not clearly defined or deadlines agreed.
But what is the optimal preparation for a meeting? In any case, not according to the motto "The boss has invited to the meeting, no idea what it is about, but you have to go - will go past!" It is better to prepare specifically for the topic. If the content is not clear then just ask - that usually makes a good impression. Then you should realize what you expect from a meeting and what position you represent yourself. In the best case you should prepare a small presentation.
Even bosses need to prepare themselves
But even the boss, who arranges the meeting, should prepare himself. First of all, one should ask oneself whether a meeting is really necessary. Or maybe there are other ways (for example per eMailVote) to solve the problem? The question of goodness is always: Do the pending questions, topics or tasks justify the effort for a meeting?
If this question has been answered with yes, it is a question of setting the date, the group of participants and the agenda. It makes sense to invite only those people who are really important or necessary for the topic. But not only content preparation is important.
The optimal working atmosphere counts
It also depends on the optimal working atmosphere: reserve a suitable room in good time. Choose a bright, sufficiently large room. One calculates about 3 to 5 square meters per participant plus possibly space for technical equipment as well as drinks and catering Organize and test the technical equipment (beamer, flip chart, microphone).
There are also drinks, snacks, the right seating arrangement, name badges, writing materials and a structured process - all the little things that are essential for the success of the meeting.
10 Tips for organizing an optimal meeting
To organize a good meeting, ask yourself the following questions.
- What is the theme? Is the topic of the meeting, what is it about?
- Which is the question or the problem? What exactly should be discussed?
- What is the agenda? How exactly does the agenda look like? How much time is available to each participant to present their own idea?
- The goal of the meeting? What is the goal of the meeting, what should be the result? Are ideas, results or the like only presented or should decisions be made and solutions be sought?
- Who moderates the meeting? Is there a moderator? Who is hosting the meeting?
- Who are the participants? How many people participate? Who participates? Do the participants know each other? What are the participants' previous knowledge? Is the knowledge heterogeneous or homogeneous?
- Why do people participate? Is participation voluntary or obligatory? Is the date suitable for you and other participants?
- Beginning and end of the meeting: When exactly does the meeting begin? When does it end? How many breaks should take place? (Important: a fixed time frame.
- The meeting room: Where is the meeting taking place? How is the room equipped (light, temperature, tables, seating, catering, etc.)
- The technical equipment: What is the technical equipment of the room (flipchart, projector, projector, etc.)?
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).