Meetings - better than your reputation?
Many meetings, which are actually meant to exchange information, suffer from the fact that just a lot of gereldet, so right go go herumgelabert. That's why meetings have such a bad reputation: "Meetings - many go in, little comes out", it says behind closed doors unfortunately far too often.
However, meetings can often be better than their reputation, because when all parties involved exchange information in a productive manner, work processes are coordinated and decisions are taken together. Do not you believe? But that's the way it is!
7 Reasons: Why are meetings so bad?
After all, meetings are not simply causally bad - on the contrary, they usually have a reason why they are so unproductive. Or more. Here are some of the common causes of the overview:
- The participants did not prepare themselves and as a result had no idea about the topic.
- As a result, nobody really knows what it's all about, but tries to conceal it as well as possible.
- The boss just did not make it clear enough what the topic should be.
- Accordingly, the meeting lacks a clear structure and objective,
- Therefore, everyone is talking wildly and nobody really knows where to go.
- Individuals use the meeting for self-profiling and unnecessarily lengthen it.
- Still others take the opportunity to get rid of their personal sensitivities.
It could be so easy!
The result is always the same: in the end, everyone wonders how unproductive such meetings are and how little comes out of them. And one thinks: Again the time with meetings wasted.
It could be so easy - when everyone prepares and the boss pretends to be a clear leader in the meeting. Unfortunately nobody has told him that, because no one dares.
The solution of the problem
The solution to the problem: the employee is the employee. Anyone who wants to specifically prepare for a meeting needs all the basics he can get.
And the solution to this problem is: just ask. Because who asks, looks interested and that always makes a good impression. Who asks, wins!
Do not be afraid of the boss
Do not be afraid that the boss might feel like stepping on the line: Especially with superiors, honest interest of employees is particularly well received, as it shows their commitment to that Company.
And finally, you need precise information in order to optimally prepare yourself. Be sure to clarify the following points beforehand:
Checklist: 7 Things you need to know before a meeting
In order for you to be optimally prepared for the meeting, you should consider the following points:
- What is the topic of the meeting, what is it about? How exactly does the agenda look? How much time is available to each participant to present their own idea?
- What is the goal of the meeting, what should be the result? Are ideas, results or the like only presented or should decisions be made and solutions be sought?
- Is there a moderator? Who is hosting the meeting?
- How many people participate? W23er participates? Do the participants know each other? What previous knowledge do the participants have? Is the knowledge heterogeneous or homogeneous?
- Is participation voluntary or obligatory? Is the date suitable for you and other participants?
- When exactly does the meeting begin? When does it end? How many breaks should take place? (Important: a fixed time frame)
- Where does the meeting take place? How is the room equipped (lighting, temperature, tables, seating, catering, etc.) What is the technical equipment of the room (flipchart, beamer, projector, etc.)
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).